SOL #13 - 3/13/12 - Technologically Challenged

Now I’m pretty comfortable working on a computer and I’ve almost got the hang of using the remote control to record on our DVD.  I’m on Facebook and have gotten hooked on Pinterest.   I like challenges and I accept changes and I’m not from the dark ages.  But, I’m at a loss when it comes to texting, tweeting, twitter, 4G, 5G, I-phones, I-pads, Bluetooth and all of this ever-changing technology that is developed every day.

You’re probably thinking – how can you manage without this new technology? 

Somehow, my husband and I get along very well.  We have cell phones (very basic Tracfones – something to use “just in case”.   I tried texting ONCE and it took me 5 minutes just to enter “Hi” (LOL)!  It’s much easier to just call and speak to the person (and much more personal). 

Has our society become so busy and into ourselves that we can’t actually talk to someone “face to face” or handwrite a letter?  What will our children do when they have to complete an application or a paper (spelling out words – no abbreviations) and meeting face to face with a person?  Isn’t the English language hard enough to understand without abbreviating everything?  Don't get me wrong, I’m not against modern technology, I just think we need to remember the basics.  I’ll get down off my soap box now.

I think that’s why I enjoy writing these slices – it’s like I’m actually talking to people and getting feedback.   I truly like being technologically challenged!

Comments

  1. Technology is always changing, isn't it. It's moving faster, it seems, every year. I have learned how to text since my two children are in college. It's much easier to get in touch with them that way. I do agree that talking and letters is much more personal. My students text, but they write for me and seem to be able to make the transition with ease. Hopefully the basics won't be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My girlfriend justs asked me why it takes 24 hours to get back to her texts. I said...well maybe it's because I really just leave my phone in the car from morning to night. I let my husband answer his cell and eventually they find me. Your post made me smile, because I truly like being tech challenged with the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny Judy because in the shower this morning I was thinking about things I don't think I could live without...all of course techy items! I think it's the new way to get things done faster and easier...hey look it gives us more time to write! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder what's ahead of us? I would have never dreamed the technology we now have would be so integral into our lives today. You learn it when you need it, and so far, you don't need some of this "stuff."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely see where you are coming from, but I do my best to teach kids there are many ways to write and they learn what is appropriate when. The technology can be addicting. But there are days when I wish I was less connected. As of late (SOL challenge), I've been reading and commenting more, but Twitter has been put on the back burner. I guess the good news is life still goes on without all the tech!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope we never forget to teach students how to write a letter. We practiced that in 3rd-5th grade, and it was so foreign to them, but they loved receiving mail!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

Tuesday SOL - 9/25/12 - A New Beginning for a Special Couple