SOL #3 – 3/3/12 Intimidation – Not Any More!

I don’t feel that I lack confidence – at least in most ways (I dislike public speaking) – but this SOL writing and publishing made me feel intimidated.  I expressed this feeling to my daughter and she asked why.  I said because y’all are teachers and have lots more education than me.  When she e-mailed me the SOL information, she wrote:  “Also, remember that not all the slicers are teachers.  In fact, we are all still mothers, daughters, grandmas, friends, and people that have a slice of life to share!  You'll also be amazed at the ideas you get from reading the other blogs.”  Isn’t she just so smart?

I need to change my way of thinking – we all are human beings and make mistakes, say the wrong things or don’t say things when we should, and I do have a lot to share.  Then I started thinking that “I am a teacher, maybe not with a degree or in a classroom, but I have taught my kids and try to teach my husband (more about this in a later post) and I look forward to teaching my granddaughters and as a Stephen Ministry leader, I teach training classes.”   I look forward to sharing more, reading your posts, learning new ways of writing and, of course, commenting – that’s how we grow!

Intimidated???  Not me, not after the last two days of receiving your comments and encouragement. 

Comments

  1. Love this reflection and it's only day three!!! You are SO right about everything - you are a teacher in so many ways! This slice brings a smile to my face. We are all just writers trying to share a story. Thank you for being here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Judy! We all (even teachers) need to and can learn from others! I can see/feel why Michelle is the wonderful person she is . . . she had a fabulous teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I know why I think Michelle is so smart. You are an awesome teacher. I can't wait to learn about the teaching of your husband :). I may be able to learn something new that I can use with mine.
    BTW: you said you are in the Ozarks? Me too! Are we close? I'm in Springfield, MO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why, but I'm completely tearing up reading your post. I think it's because that insecurity can be so deep seeded and then to be accepted in such a beautiful and unconditional way is so moving. Hey - I'm a teacher and I was completely intimidated, so I get it and have been so warmly welcomed into this community too. Good luck fellow newbie slicer! Can't wait to read more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy -
    I loved this line, "We are all human beings and make mistakes!"
    I am an expert at making mistakes, and I've found it hard to press "publish" on my posts, worrying if my post will be good enough.
    Thank YOU for your encouragement!!!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, felt intimidated by this slicing...still do, in fact. But, I can't help but believe that it is an essential feeling/sensation for teachers to have "on their mind" - I mean, we do it to our students every day! We want students to persevere...we need to take risks and remember the feeling of this hard work. Bravo! To all of us!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can definitely relate to the feeling of intimidation. But with this great group they have assembled for this month how can you stay intimidated very long? I look forward to more posts from you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. See, if you are a Stephen Ministry trainer, I would have expected that you never feel insecure, but actually, it makes more sense that you have a handle on your insecurities and push through them. Thanks for your insightful slice today. (And I want to check back to see what you are teaching your husband.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

Tuesday SOL - 9/25/12 - A New Beginning for a Special Couple