Tuesday SOLSC - 1/14/14 - The Sunshine Award Nomination


A week ago I discovered that Terje nominated me for the Sunshine Award.  I was amazed and felt honored that she would do this.  I promised her that I would answer her questions and give out some little known information about me.  So here goes:

1.  I was born and raised on a farm near Clifton, Illinois.
2.  I took piano and organ lessons for 6 years - never did perfect it, but someday I'd like to take lessons again.
3.  I was a cheerleader in 7th & 8th grade.
4.  I worked for International Playtex Corp. in Dover, Delaware.
5.  I knew my husband's family longer than I did him.  I shared an apartment with his sister and visited with his family while he was in the military.  I met him when he came back from VietNam in June of 1969 and we got married in March, 1970.  And they said it would never last!  Ha - 44 years this March.
6.  I started a fire in the oven while baking meatloaf to impress my soon to be husband (guess that's why he does all the cooking now).
7.  I've been a secretary/administrative assistant for well over 50 years.
8.  I sang and competed with a Sweet Adelines Chorus for seven years.
9.  I learned to sew clothes when I was a member of the 4-H club.
10.  The only reason I passed Algebra was because my teacher was a close neighbor, friend and I babysat for his children.  I think he felt sorry for me.  And, A + B still does not = C.
11.  My Dad always thought I should be a stewardess for the airlines (that's what they call them back then) so that I could travel all over the world.

Answers to Terje's questions:

1.  One thing you wish adults would have told you about growing up - how difficult it is to see your own children grow up, leave home, struggle with life situations and being so far away from them.

2.  If you could travel in time, would you go to the past or the future?  Why? -  I would return to the past.  I always enjoy reading about the Civil War era, but don't know that I would want to live through that.  Maybe just travel back far enough to see if there is anything in my lifetime that I could change and do differently.  The future is intriguing, but when you read all the futuristic books or watch the movies - I don't know that I'm prepared to experience it anytime soon.

3.  How would you describe yourself as a child?  During my early years, I was shy and didn't have a lot of self confidence.  Over the years, because of my parents and teachers, I grew more confident and discovered what I wanted to do with my life.

4.  What is your happiest childhood memory?  Spending time with my grandparents.  My grandfather called me his "junker" because I picked up everything and saved it.  My brother and I played Canasta with my grandma every week and the prize was a little fisherman with a fish on the end of the line.  You could set it on the edge of the table and it would pop up and down.

5.  How have you surprised yourself?   I surprised myself when I started writing on this blog two years ago.  I guess some of that lack of self confidence reappeared.  It's been a very rewarding experience and I'm so happy to be able to share in this experience with my daughter, Michelle, and each of you.

6.  What are you avoiding?  Making a commitment to losing weight and improving my health.

7.  What are the advantages of getting older?   Not having the responsibility of raising children.  Freedom to travel when and where I want.  No more mortgage payments.  Enjoying my grandchildren.  Not needing to work to earn a paycheck, but to work because I enjoy it.  Being able to read, scrapbook, crochet, or whatever, whenever I want.  Being able to say "I'll do it tomorrow".

8.  What is one habit you would like to learn this year?  How to control the urges to constantly nibble on those things that I shouldn't eat.

9.  What inspirational things did you read, see or hear last week?  A devotion from "Daily Hope with Rick Warren" entitled "To Get Enthusiastic, Get God".  A reminder that I need to turn my whole self over to God.

10.  How much is your life like to what you dreamed it would be?  I'm from the era that you graduated from high school, went to college (maybe), got married, had kids and life was wonderful.  And, yes, that's what my life has been - wonderful.  I am very blessed to have a wonderful husband, children and grandchildren, good health, a beautiful home and everything that I need to live life to it's fullest.

Thanks, Terje, for nominating me for the Sunshine Award.  Your questions gave me thoughts to ponder and brought back many good memories.  Here's to many sunshine days to you.


Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing. It was like a walk down memory lane for me. I met my husband in 1969 and got married in 1972. I wanted to be a stewardess but I was too short (imagine that now).
    Bernadette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is one of my favorite posts! Some interesting stories about you that I didn't know! Started a fire in the oven -- oh, for sure that was well planned! :) Hmmm...you may have just given me an idea! And I didn't know that Grandpa wanted you to be a stewardess to travel the world! Or your Grandpa calling you "junker"! I love it! Also, thanks for the link to the devotion. I will check it out! What a fun post to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for taking the time to write the facts and answer questions. It was fun to read and I got to know you a bit better. My favorite is the "Ha - 44 years". I like that you and Michelle both blog, it's always on the back of my mind when I read your slices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, and it was also interesting to read Michelle's comments. Guess she learned a thing or two! So glad that you are a part of this community, Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Slowly we reveal small tidbits of ourselves through our posts. It's always fun to read them. I think it's funny you had a few facts unknown to Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How have I missed your blog? I don't think I've read it before. It must be right in the middle of where I don't look or where I stop reading blogs and go to sleep. At any rate, glad I found you (maybe again, but I don't remember). I'll have to check out the devo shortly. Loved reading your little known facts and your answers to Terje's questions. Will be back Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

Tuesday SOL - 9/25/12 - A New Beginning for a Special Couple