SOLSC 3/15/14 - A Fishing Trip to Remember

After reading Elsie's slice this morning, I reached way back into the dark crevices of my mind and came of with a memory from my childhood.

Most every year during the summer, we spent a week on Lake Little Arbor Vitae near Spooner, WI.  The trip that seems to stick in my mind was when I was about 11 years old.  We stayed at a resort.  I remember that it was a very tiny cabin, but then there only four of us - my Mom & Dad and my brother.  The boats were furnished with the cabin and as I recall, it was also small, probably a row boat with a motor attached.

One day my Dad took Allan and me out to fish.  It was a pretty day when we started out.  I think we were fishing for crappie.  Mom stayed behind to clean the cabin and get dinner ready.  I think she was planning to have fresh fish for dinner.  My memory isn't that clear on some of the particulars.

We had been out only a short time when Dad said we need to get back to dock, there's a storm coming.  We had anchored out in the middle of the lake.  Allan pulled up the anchor and Dad tried to start the motor.  The more he pulled on the rope starter, the darker the clouds got.  He was getting a little anxious and told my brother to start rowing us back toward the dock while he continued to pull on the rope.  The wind picked up and the storm was very near.  The waves started rolling in and soon there were white caps on the waves.

Allan was rowing and pulling, but with the wind blowing, it was almost a losing battle, but we were getting closer to the dock.  About that time, Dad pulled once more and the motor started and we headed in.  The rain drops had started to fall by the time we got back.

It was a very scary time for an 11 year old (and my Dad and brother too).  Needless to say Mom was waiting on the dock for us and she was very happy that we were back safe and sound.  No fish for dinner that night, but at least we were all safe inside together listening to the rain fall.


Comments

  1. I could feel the panic in your words. What a scary experience that was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar experience out kayaking one day. No storm in sight when we put in and about half way the clouds rolled in. We headed for shore and I happened to have a friend that lived near by. We asked for a ride back to our van, which we then returned with for the kayaks. Mother Nature is in control when you're in her element!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing how elsie's slice triggered your memory and I'd say you remember it in some detail! Very scary for everyone, indeed! But thankfully, a happy ending minus the fresh fish dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing how certain far away memories can be remembered like they happened yesterday! As much as I love water and have to fear of it, I truly do respect it's power. Glad all turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could feel the panic rising as dad tugged on the motor rope and your brother paddled. Some memories just don't get erased, I'm sure you can still recall the fear that you would not make it back to shore.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

Tuesday SOL - 9/25/12 - A New Beginning for a Special Couple