SOLSC 3/16/14 - If only our Dining Room Table Could Talk
We had some friends over for dinner the other night and Denise said, "I love your dining room table." As I thought of that comment, it made me think about how I almost didn't get this table and if this table could talk, oh the stories it would tell.
This table belonged to my grandparents and passed on to my parents when they moved to the farm near Clifton in 1945. I didn't come along for several years after that, so I'm not sure what those stories might be, but as I was growing up I remember the many times that we used this table. It was in the "formal" dining room, so it was used for those special celebrations, Easter, Christmas, birthday celebrations and family gatherings. Usually the extra leaves weren't added to the table until preparations were being made for these celebrations. Mom always put a table cloth on it to protect the top. There were many stories and fun times around this table - adults and children.
I remember that Mom & Dad had a card club and when it was their turn to host, this table was turned into a place of laughter, chatter and an enjoyable evening.
In 1960, we moved into a new house in town and the table moved with us, but it was taken to the basement because there wasn't a "formal" dining room and it was an old table. It was covered with a vinyl tablecloth (to protect the top) and was used as a catch all. The basement flooded once and the round (bun) feet were damage. It stayed in the basement and I'm sure it felt neglected and lonely.
When my Dad passed away and we were cleaning out the house, I thought about bringing the table to AR, but then I thought it was too big and too much trouble to move. But hubby and my brother convinced me that it wouldn't be a problem and would fit perfectly in our log home. No "formal" dining room, but room enough. Hubby replaced the bun feet to match the wood on the table.
I am so happy that they convinced me. It brings back so many memories of when I was growing up and now we use it for those special occasions when we have family and friends for a meal and to play games. I don't cover it up because I love looking at the intricate woodwork on it.
Oh, if only this table could talk and tell me all those stories that I don't remember about all the people who sat around it, all the laughter and fun times, all the meals that were shared on it, all the spills that it withstood, the times when it sat holding the stuff that didn't have a place, etc. Since it can't talk, I'll just continue to use it and be thankful that I brought it into our home. Another thing in my life to embrace.
I remember that Mom & Dad had a card club and when it was their turn to host, this table was turned into a place of laughter, chatter and an enjoyable evening.
In 1960, we moved into a new house in town and the table moved with us, but it was taken to the basement because there wasn't a "formal" dining room and it was an old table. It was covered with a vinyl tablecloth (to protect the top) and was used as a catch all. The basement flooded once and the round (bun) feet were damage. It stayed in the basement and I'm sure it felt neglected and lonely.
When my Dad passed away and we were cleaning out the house, I thought about bringing the table to AR, but then I thought it was too big and too much trouble to move. But hubby and my brother convinced me that it wouldn't be a problem and would fit perfectly in our log home. No "formal" dining room, but room enough. Hubby replaced the bun feet to match the wood on the table.
I am so happy that they convinced me. It brings back so many memories of when I was growing up and now we use it for those special occasions when we have family and friends for a meal and to play games. I don't cover it up because I love looking at the intricate woodwork on it.
Oh, if only this table could talk and tell me all those stories that I don't remember about all the people who sat around it, all the laughter and fun times, all the meals that were shared on it, all the spills that it withstood, the times when it sat holding the stuff that didn't have a place, etc. Since it can't talk, I'll just continue to use it and be thankful that I brought it into our home. Another thing in my life to embrace.

You inspired me to write an entry tomorrow about a similar idea that I had. If only our furniture could tell us the stories we weren't around to hear. How wonderful that you kept it and can treasure the stories it holds.
ReplyDeleteIf only this table could talk,
ReplyDeletethen we could have
such a conversation about
bread, broken;
stories, unfolded;
squabbles, spoken;
children, scolded;
hearts and tokens
of family together over time,
and memories like crumbs
discovered in the cracks of the wood.
-Kevin
PS - lifting lines today, in order to find some poems.
Kevin, thank you for lifting some lines from my slice - you have taken my thoughts and simply stated them in your poem. Love it!
DeleteLove your memories of the table, and if only it could share those stories. I bet you could also go back to some old photographs and see who gathered around that table. Such an interesting perspective.
ReplyDeleteAnd don't you just love how Kevin can lift a line of text and create such magic? Amazing!
I lovd the idea of a story from piece of furniture. Wistfully for all those stories I don't remember. What a great idea. I may just have to try something like this
ReplyDeletehttp://parentingandpedagogy.blogspot.com
What a beautiful table! How sad it was banished to the basement for a period of time. I'm glad you were able to rescue it and bring it back to the joy of family gatherings.
ReplyDeleteMy brother has the family oak table from grandparents, and we often talk about the times in their home when I'm visiting my brother and family. Those tables hold such wonderful stories in their wood. I'm glad you shared about your table, Judy. It is beautiful!
ReplyDeleteJudy it is beautiful! I love pieces of furniture or accessories that have stories . . . stories that need to be told like you did today!
ReplyDeleteYour table is lovely, and it's an heirloom, to boot. It would be neat to compile some stories "From the Table" into a little notebook. Great memories!
ReplyDelete