SOLSC 3/4/14 - The Antics of our Critter Friends
We are blessed to live in the woods and have an abundance of wildlife that like to visit us daily and they give us reason to laugh and smile each time they venture through our yard.
There has been an overwhelming quantity of deer for the past couple of years. In fact, last year there were two sets of twins and one set of triplets born. We have watched them grow and mature and yet, they still love to romp and play as they graze across the yard.

Last week we had several loads of mulch delivered and because the weather has been so difficult, it has not gotten spread yet. The other morning when Max and I were going for our walk, there were several deer on the top of the mulch pile, munching away at whatever they could find. They stood their ground and just watched us walk past and promptly went back to see what else they could forage.
Several days later, I looked out the window to discover this little one munching away on the cedar tree. The tree isn't much bigger than that deer and she was definitely enjoying whatever morsels she could find.
Usually Max sleeps in and doesn't need to go out first thing in the morning before the dawn breaks, but this morning he needed to go take care of business. I turned on the porch light and let him out. I noticed this little bird perched on the rafter. At first I couldn't tell what kind of bird, but later discovered that it was a female cardinal. I must have frightened her, because her eyes got really big, but she didn't fly away. The picture isn't very clear as I had to take it through the window, but you can see the nest right beside to her. That's a chickadee nest that was built last year. I'm not sure if she is eyeing it or if it gives her some additional shelter. This morning (when the temps were 7 degrees) she was all puffed up and trying to stay warm.
Although, we enjoy having our critter friends visit, I have learned that I don't plant flowers or veggies that are within there reach - they seem to think whatever is in our yard is for them.
There has been an overwhelming quantity of deer for the past couple of years. In fact, last year there were two sets of twins and one set of triplets born. We have watched them grow and mature and yet, they still love to romp and play as they graze across the yard.
Last week we had several loads of mulch delivered and because the weather has been so difficult, it has not gotten spread yet. The other morning when Max and I were going for our walk, there were several deer on the top of the mulch pile, munching away at whatever they could find. They stood their ground and just watched us walk past and promptly went back to see what else they could forage.
Although, we enjoy having our critter friends visit, I have learned that I don't plant flowers or veggies that are within there reach - they seem to think whatever is in our yard is for them.

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSorry Judy hit send before I checked ;-)...What I said was that I could sit and look out your windows all day . . . the pictures you must see each day are amazing!
ReplyDeleteWildlife is so intriguing! I love these views from your world and the friends who inhabit it.
ReplyDeleteHow lovely to be able to look out and see such beautiful sights!
ReplyDeleteIt's fun to watch these critters who think that YOU are invading in their territories!
ReplyDeleteEven if you hadn't posted a pic, this line was very "deer" to me
ReplyDelete"They stood their ground and just watched us walk past and promptly went back to see what else they could forage." Thanks for the slice