SOLSC 3/6/14 - Snow Turning to Mush

Sunday we were blessed to only get freezing rain/sleet topped by a couple of inches of snow.  I say "blessed" because it was suppose to have been ICE!  Of course, that pretty much shut everything down - including our snow plows.  Monday, was a day to just stay at home and read a good book.
Tuesday, Max had a hair cut appointment and I had to go to work.

So I ventured out.  We live about 9 miles out of town and our county hasn't quite figured out how to do that snow plowing thing.  The roads were totally covered in packed down snow with some ice underneath.  Driving slowly, grasping the steering wheel very tightly, always on the look out for cars coming my way.  We made it to the state highway - now you'd think that it would be clear after a day and half, but that wasn't to be.  It wasn't as bad as the county roads, but it left a lot to be desired.  I did make it to work and back home again. 

We hadn't seen seen or heard a snow plow until about 8:00 p.m last night.  Not that they really did anything, but at least they were out and about.  I don't think they have figured out how to put the blade on the road.

This morning I headed back into town for work.  Needless to say, the roads weren't any better, in fact, since they pushed the snow off the roads, it was much more slippery.   White knuckles and tightness across my shoulders -  but I made it.  (Must be my Northern driving skills!)

The temps got up in the 40's today and the sun was out. You would think that the roads would be better and that the county "might" be out getting rid of the mush.  More white knuckles, stress in the shoulders, a headache pending because of the bright sun on the snow.  I made it home, pulled into the drive.... and came to a halt.  The drive was pure slush and the car literally sank.  It was like quick sand.  I got out, came into the house and told hubby that we had a problem.

He snickered and got his coat.  Pushed some slush out from the tires, got into the car and proceeded to not move forward or back.  After several more tries, he got it to move a little and it sank again.  So he went to get the tractor to clear the slush off the drive and the car arrived safely in the garage. 

Do I dare venture out tomorrow, or should I just wait for the snow to melt totally?  Spring where are you?

Comments

  1. I think the snow plowers are tired of winter and have the attitude, been there, done that when it comes to removal. What a problem with the slush! Now that's some deep slush! Glad you made all the trips safely, but don't push your luck. Stay in and read/write for one more day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy so funny . . .well not really but even here the snow removal has not been quite up to par. I think by the time spring finally does comes the cities will shut down because everyone will take off work for a sick day . . . and enjoy the weather hmmm nice thought ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds quite treacherous, Judy - be careful, and let's all pray for Spring. Soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good that you got home safely. I would vote for: Stay home unless really necessary to go. Waiting for the spring together with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are safe and had the right equipment at home to clear the driveway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I don't think they have figured out how to put the blade on the road." ...Made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait! You forgot to mention that your 9 mile drive to town includes steep hills and deep valleys! Up and down. Down and up! Enough to make a little girl sick! Then add on the snow and ice. My vote: stay home! And spring where are you???

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

Tuesday SOL - 9/25/12 - A New Beginning for a Special Couple