SOLSC 3/8/14 - Exercising - A Way of Life or Torture?
Exercising has become a way of life. I try to do something every day and am pretty dedicated. I feel better when I exercise, but lately I wonder why do I really get up at the crack of dawn and go down to a cold basement to torture myself. Sometimes I feel like I "just go through the motion" just to say that I exercised. Is it really doing me any good?
So last week, I was reading Prevention magazine and came across a new exercise workout, called Get Your Body Back Fit, Firm and Fabulous. I ordered it and thought this is what a need to get into shape. I've been doing the same ole routines for years and they have become old hat and I don't really concentrate on my form or even what I'm doing.
The DVD arrived on Monday, so Tuesday morning I put the DVD on and proceeded to "try out" the first 10 minute routine. You do every move for 1 minute (I can do anything for 1 minute, right???). Needless to say, my 65 year old body couldn't keep up with the speed of the instructor. Of course, she assured me it was okay to not go as fast as she was. I did make it through the first 10 minute routine, but it was fairly difficult getting back up the stairs that morning. Wednesday is my day to do weights and I thought that I'd add another 10 minute routine to my weight routine. The second routine was even tougher than the first, but I did it. Not perfectly or with the speed, but I finished. The third day I tried two ten minute routines - not easy, but I persevered (and gasped for breath). Friday, I just did my weight routine, I couldn't bring myself to try another one. There is always next week to start again.
I need this new routine, just to make me think and work a little harder. There are times I wish I had someone to workout with or go to a class. Try something new - maybe yoga, maybe zumba, or maybe just walking Max will be enough exercise to keep me going. Some days exercise is pure torture, but then I really need to make it a way of life.

I say…good for you for doing any exercise at all routinely! Now, if only I would get back to one myself. Thanks for the inspiration…yoga tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteUgh, I think you speak for all of us! Exercise makes us feel good, but there are many moments and days it is pure torture! Good luck trying the new routines. I know you can find someone to go to a yoga or zumba class with you! Just start asking around and I bet someone is thinking the same as you. Keep it up! (Now, as for me....I need to start doing something...ugh. Torture.) Love ya Mom!
ReplyDeleteChanging up the exercise routine is a good idea. I am holding out for some pleasant weather so I can get back out on my bike.
ReplyDeleteI feel the same way many mornings, but I also know from when I haven't been able to pull myself out of bed that I feel much worse if I skip a day. I plan to run for the first time since last fall today. I am so thankful for these warmer days.
ReplyDeleteI think it's great you're trying something new, and that you're doing anything. Just wanted to say congratulations-up and moving!
ReplyDeleteKudos for trying new exercise for more than one time! If I lived closer, I would exercise with you! This was my week to only make it to the gym once. Have to do better next week!
ReplyDeleteGood for you...this is a worthy goal, Judy!
ReplyDeleteYou have a gold medal in my book for getting up at dawn to exercise each day! Today was yoga, and I am hoping to "move a mile" each day. Big hopes. I wish the weather made walking outside possible!
ReplyDeleteOk my turn . . . yes it is torture and I don't know why??? We do feel better but it just isn't exciting! Good luck to you Judy we are all in this together.
ReplyDeleteI wish I had your discipline. I can't figure out why I can't make it a habit. I get going for a while, then there is a schedule change and I don't make the adjustment quickly.
ReplyDelete