Tuesday SOL 8/12/14 - A cappella Singing

I have always enjoyed music - vocal and instrumental.  Prior to moving to Arkansas, I sang with a Sweet Adelines barbershop chorus - preforming and competing.  It is so amazing to hear the harmony that is created with four different parts.  Over the last five years, hubby and I have discovered some interesting a cappella groups.  It started when Michelle told us to check out the half time show at the Bears game.  The group was called "Straight No Chaser".  Even in a football stadium, their sound was fantastic.  They are a group of ten guys who started out at an Indiana University singing in a glee club.  After graduation, they went their separate ways and later came back together to make this wonderful music.  They have been performing throughout the U.S. and overseas.  Check out their website:  sncmusic.com or they have some YouTube videos.

Shortly have we went to one of their shows, we found a competition on TV called "Sing Off".  The first year was a short series of about three weeks, but since then, the show has developed into a competition of 8-10 weeks.  Never long enough.  The most amazing part of a cappella singing is the sound that comes out of those vocal chords.  There are no backup instruments, these individuals make all the sounds.  The percussionists are unbelievable.  If you closed your eyes, you would truly believe that there were instruments playing along with them.

We attended the Sing Off tour in Kansas City this past spring.  We heard the three top groups.  They sing all types of music from country to pop to rock.  The group that won the competition is called "Home Free Vocal Band".  Check then out on YouTube.  They are currently on tour across the country.

Last week when our son and daughter-in-law were visiting us, we went to Branson for a couple of days and attended  a show called "SIX" (need I say that they sang a cappella?).  They are a group of six brothers and oh, how they could harmonize!

If you haven't heard a cappella music before, check it out.  Just close your eyes and listen - the sounds are amazing.

Comments

  1. A cappella groups are amazing. I have not seen Six in Branson, but it is on my list of shows to see. Perhaps I will be able to convince my husband he want to go too. I do hope Sing-Off returns in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few years age the group The Cat's Pajamas performed at our local high school. We went to see them. Amazing! You would swear that there were instruments backing them up even though there weren't any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat's Pajamas also plays in Branson. They are next on our list of shows.

      Delete
  3. I love a cappella groups. I always have a pleasant subtle buss go through my body when the harmony is pure and clear. Looks like we have to go see SIX! Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you near Branson? Try Cat's Pajamas too. We heard them sing in KC and they preform in Branson.

      Delete
  4. A cappella singing amazes me. It takes great talent and a lot of practice to make it sound beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love hearing this about you, Judy. I've seen straight, no chaser once-amazing. The competition sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravo to you Judy. I can't sing but I can so appreciate making/creating. Share something with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like just the PERFECT tunes needed right before starting my day and after a long day's work:-)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When asked, what is one thing I would change about myself, I always answer, I wish I could sing. I admire anyone who has this talent, because I am a in-the-car-by-myself kind of singer. My family thinks that is the best kind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful music! It's fun to see you both enjoy the music together. The singing is amazing, but the various sounds they can make are just phenomenal! Keep enjoying the music!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

Tuesday SOL - 9/25/12 - A New Beginning for a Special Couple