SOL 19/31 A New Craft

Yesterday I spent the morning visiting with my special friend and learned a new craft.

Like I need something else to do!

Liz is a florist, a pottery maker and a creator of glass creations.  Arranging flowers and bow making is not my specialty.  I've still to try my hand at pottery - hopefully in her next class.  Yesterday, we played.  She is still learning the art of making glass creations and yesterday she taught me her newly learned craft.

She brought out the glass, the cutters.  She showed me her creations and asked me what I wanted to make.  I said, "Something simple to start with" and so we made coasters - 3-1/2" squares.  Dark purple glass with some light purple and white added in along with a metal piece.  She showed me how to measure, explained why we had to leave some space on one piece of glass so there are no bubbles, we cut and pieced and layered and placed the finished pieces on the rack to go in the kiln.  The first one completed with Liz' help.  Then she said go for it with the second one.  Easier this time.  Now there were two.

We took a lunch break and then she showed me the pendants that she had created.  Beautiful.  It is so amazing how the pieces of glass just meld together and made a beautiful creation.  So I put together two pendants, one might turn out to be a tear drop and the other a square.  Liz says you can't predict how they will come out of the kiln.  So it will be a surprise.

I had planned to take pictures, but I got carried away with the task at hand.  So you'll have to wait until they are finished cooking in the kiln. It was a delightful day spent learning and sharing a craft with a special friend.  I don't think I'll go out and buy all the paraphernalia, but I can go back and play again at Liz' and try something new.

Comments

  1. Sounds beautiful. I can't wait to see the pictures. A day of creating is always a day well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like fun, but difficult to do on your own. Thank goodness you have access to all the materials through your friend. Can't wait to see the end product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always amazed when we go to craft shows and see the hand made glass jewelry. They are always quite beautiful. Looking forward to seeing your finished pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lot of fun -- time talking and laughing with a great friend, and a special memory to take home too! (When it's done cooking ...) Can't wait to see what you created!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you are so creative! I've dabbled in a few crafty things it is so much fun! Can't wait to see your beautiful creations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A delightful way to spend a day indeed. Looking forward to seeing photos of your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are very brave to work with glass! I would worry about dropping the pieces :) what a lovely day with your friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

Tuesday SOL - 9/25/12 - A New Beginning for a Special Couple