SOL 3/31 - Chirp
Hubby has been taking care of our neighbor's house and cat while they are gone. He goes over daily, checks to make sure nothing unusual is happening, no frozen pipes, and no unusual sounds from the multitude of detectors they have in the house.
The other day he was gone for a longer period of time than usual. He came home and told me that I needed to go back with him. There was a "chirp" and he couldn't figure out where it was coming from.
I went back with him and sure enough, there was a "chirp" at one minute intervals. We stood by the smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detectors. It sounded like it was coming from somewhere else. We moved to where we thought it was coming from and waited. It sounded like it came from somewhere near the detectors. He took the smoke detector down, changed the batteries.
"Chirp".
He took the carbon monoxide detector down, changed the batteries.
"Chirp"
He found another monitor on the shelf and again changed the batteries.
"Chirp"
We looked high, we looked low, we looked behind furniture, books. All for naught. We shrugged and decided to e-mail our neighbors to see if they could direct us.
Later that afternoon, we got an e-mail back telling us where one more monitor was hiding. Hubby went over, found the monitor. It was plugged into an outlet - no batteries. He pressed the test button.
Waited. Waited a while longer.
No more "chirp".
The other day he was gone for a longer period of time than usual. He came home and told me that I needed to go back with him. There was a "chirp" and he couldn't figure out where it was coming from.
I went back with him and sure enough, there was a "chirp" at one minute intervals. We stood by the smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detectors. It sounded like it was coming from somewhere else. We moved to where we thought it was coming from and waited. It sounded like it came from somewhere near the detectors. He took the smoke detector down, changed the batteries.
"Chirp".
He took the carbon monoxide detector down, changed the batteries.
"Chirp"
He found another monitor on the shelf and again changed the batteries.
"Chirp"
We looked high, we looked low, we looked behind furniture, books. All for naught. We shrugged and decided to e-mail our neighbors to see if they could direct us.
Later that afternoon, we got an e-mail back telling us where one more monitor was hiding. Hubby went over, found the monitor. It was plugged into an outlet - no batteries. He pressed the test button.
Waited. Waited a while longer.
No more "chirp".

I woke up to this one night-good to know it's time to change the batteries, not so good to hear the chirp in the middle of the night. Glad you found the culprit! When they're close, it sometimes is hard to hear which one is needy!
ReplyDeleteAfter what I wrote yesterday, I had to smile as I read this. Don't you just love all of those different beeps and chirps? At least mine wasn't hidden.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad for the reminder, but couldn't it be light sensitive. It always seems to go off in the night.
ReplyDeleteI was so hoping this was the chirping of birds and springtime was coming!!!!
ReplyDeleteGuess not. I detest the annoying unknown chirp! Makes you go, grrrr.
Glad the problem was solved after some aggregation. And hopefully soon you'll be hearing the chirp of the birds before spring!
Great slice, Mom!
Love you, me
I too thought it was birds as
ReplyDeleteWell! This has happened to me... So
Annoying!