SOL 4/31 - Hubby's Delight

When we were in Florida recently, we went to the Daytona International Speedway.  Hubby is a huge fan of NASCAR and was ecstatic that we could go on a tour of the Daytona Speedway.  I was along for the "ride", but found it to be very interesting.  I still have a hard time sitting in front of the tv on Sunday's and watch these cars go round and round the oval.

The tour took us out on the track.  Of course, we weren't going 200 MPH, just a mere 10-15 MPH (maybe).  And it wasn't in a race car, but an open air tram with 50 other people.  Not quite the same as being in a race, but close (we were on the track!).

We were able to get off the tram at the Start/Finish line and walk up the mere 18 degree grade of the track.  Turns 2 and 4 were at 33 degrees.  It gives you a total different perspective of where these drivers race.

We drove thru the pits and into the garage area.  Sat in the drivers' meeting room and watched the video they watched before the 2014 Daytona 500.

Then we stopped at Victory Lane.

We headed up into the stands to get an overview of what the crowd sees (or doesn't see depending on where you are seated).

Hubby was happy and was just itching to get into a race car and try his hand at driving that track.

The following week we watched the 2015 Daytona 500 on tv.  I did watch some of the race, just to say, "Hey, we were on that track!"

Comments

  1. This made me laugh " I still have a hard time sitting in front of the tv on Sunday's and watch these cars go round and round the oval.". I say something similar about watching baseball on tv but I am slightly more interested in being at a real ball field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy I felt like you were talking about my husband! I have often thought of buying him the groupon which gives them a chance to drive or sit as a passenger in the race car! I'm with you though watching the race on TV is a little tough :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like this made your hubby's day. Glad he enjoyed. It is always a neat feeling when you see something on TV and you can say, "Hey, I was there."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a NASCAR fan, but touring Daytona's track sounds like it would be really neat. I got to tour Yankee Stadium (the old one) once and every time I saw it on TV afterwards, I kept saying, "Hey, I stood there" or "Hey, I sat in the dugout." Pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting to see the behind the scenes of the racing world. What a treat for Dad! We all have our own passions ... Check that off the "bucket list"! Love the two pictures you shared too! Victory!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great that you were up for the adventure and both of you had great time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such a good wife to go to the race track because that's his passion. It does make it more meaningful when you've been there and you see it later. But I'm with you, watching racing is a close second to watching golf on TV, boring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband was a NASCAR fan for awhile and went to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. It was fun going in the back and watching the time trials but I don't think I could make it through an entire race for the same reason as you mentioned. At least we both can say "We have been there."

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an exciting experience! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the picture of your husband, Judy. When I was in Boston with students years ago, my assistant was a runner. We took a pic of her on the finish line of the Marathon. She was thrilled, as I hear your husband must have been on this tour.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Encouraging and sharing in your husband's passion is a bucket-filler! He is lucky to have you!! Judy~ Thanks for commenting on my slice. I think it is so inspiring that you and Michelle can share in this writing challenge together!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like this was a really special time for your husband. That smile on his face says it all!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

Tuesday SOL - 9/25/12 - A New Beginning for a Special Couple