Tuesday SOL 1/5/16 - Remodeling
One major change is happening in our newly purchased home. We are not tub people. We like our shower. Getting older means that stepping up and over the tub is not easy. So....
We decided to take out the tub in the master bathroom and replace it with a shower. We got quotes. Gulped a couple of times. Researched alternatives. Got another quote. Decided to do marble instead of individual tiles. No grout to discolor, easy to clean. Sharp looking. And less expensive than tile.
Today the demolition started. The tub enclosure came out easy enough. But as with any older home, nothing is square and there was a 2 x 6 where a 2 x 4 should have been. Nothing major, just bumps in the way (or so I was told by the contractor). The plumber gave us an estimate, but said that he would not dig out the concrete (we're on a slab), so hubby says "no problem" (his go to phrase). He'll take care of it. I sure hope he doesn't regret those words!
So we're in the middle of a mess, but the end product will be exceptional.
We decided to take out the tub in the master bathroom and replace it with a shower. We got quotes. Gulped a couple of times. Researched alternatives. Got another quote. Decided to do marble instead of individual tiles. No grout to discolor, easy to clean. Sharp looking. And less expensive than tile.
Today the demolition started. The tub enclosure came out easy enough. But as with any older home, nothing is square and there was a 2 x 6 where a 2 x 4 should have been. Nothing major, just bumps in the way (or so I was told by the contractor). The plumber gave us an estimate, but said that he would not dig out the concrete (we're on a slab), so hubby says "no problem" (his go to phrase). He'll take care of it. I sure hope he doesn't regret those words!
So we're in the middle of a mess, but the end product will be exceptional.

I admire your calm! We are getting ready to rip up carpeting and kitchen flooring to put in hard wood floors. We're waiting until spring when the weather is better. I look forward to the end, but not the process!
ReplyDeleteOh boy Judy good luck! Can't wait to hear about the awesome completion! And thank you . . . I'll take all the good wishes from the person above :-)
ReplyDeleteHome renovations are always trouble... and always worth it!
ReplyDeleteWe had our bath completely gutted and redone about five years ago so I understand what you are going through. We didn't think about going with a shower, so last year we called Bath Fitter and had the tub taken out and a shower installed. We love it.
ReplyDeleteWe had our bath completely gutted and redone about five years ago so I understand what you are going through. We didn't think about going with a shower, so last year we called Bath Fitter and had the tub taken out and a shower installed. We love it.
ReplyDeleteLiving in the midst of the mess is never fun, but keep thinking about when it is all done! Dad will do just fine with his new chore. :) Don't forget to take pictures and prayers for no more bumps along the way!
ReplyDelete