March 2018 SOLSC - 5/31 - Honoring my Dad

Each year that I have been writing in this March Challenge, I have written a slice about my Dad.  And this year is no different.  Today would have been my Dad's 101st Birthday.  Even though he passed 15 years ago, I still honor him on his birthday (and each and every day).  I'm sure if you check back to the past slices on March 5th, you will see a lot of the same words repeated, but they will all tell you how much he meant to me.

My Dad was born on this day in 1917 to a farming family who made their living off of the crops they raised.  He had two siblings, a sister and brother - both older than him.  From the story that I remember, he was named by the farm hand who helped his Dad do chores.  His name was Hartwell - an unusual name and not one that I'm sure you have heard before.

He wasn't one to enjoy school, but graduated and said no to college.  He lost the sight in his left eye due to a shotgun accident when he was 17.  He joined the Army in the early 1940's during WWII and served State-side because of the loss of sight.  He married my Mom in 1943 and they moved to California where my brother was born in 1944.

When they returned to the farm in Clifton, it wasn't a time when one could raise a family on the profits of the crops.  So he became a carpenter and build houses in addition to farming.  The contractor he worked for built the houses from the ground up - from cement work to laying blocks and bricks to making the cabinets and finishing the inside.  With Dad only having sight in one eye, he couldn't lay blocks or bricks, but he did most everything else.  He had an "eye" for perfection.

He always expected my brother and me to do our best, to be kind and considerate of others, to put our faith in God.  He was always our example to follow.  His love and passion for others, especially my Mom, taught us how to be positive and compassionate.  He loved people.  He enjoyed music.  He loved to tease.  He enjoyed traveling with my Mom.  His faith in God was undeniable.  He was proud of his grandkids and enjoyed watching them play sports.  He taught us all a lot.

He was always a hard worker.  When he retired from carpentry and farming, he needed something to occupy his time, so he started mowing grass for the church and for neighbors.  Then he became a courier for the hospital.  He loved his Chicago Cubs and would have been thrilled to have seen them win the World Series.

I miss my Dad.  I miss his teasing and caring and encouragement.  But I know that he still cheers me, my brother, our kids and grandkids.  Happy Birthday, Dad!  Enjoy your special day!

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing about your dad. Sounds like he was amazing. He reminds me a lot of my grandfather who also grew up on a farm, skipped college, served in the Marines and had an eye for detail. He modeled hard work and responsibility with a little wink of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special man! Honoring him every year seems just right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to your dad! What a great biographical slice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this yesterday, but never had a moment to respond. As usual, your posts about Grandpa bring tears to my eyes. Such an amazing man ... now being older, I wish I had the opportunity to talk to him, learn more from him, be wiser because of him. Thank you, thank you, thank you for capturing these memories. Please know they mean the world to me. Love you and your writing, Mom!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

Tuesday SOL - 9/25/12 - A New Beginning for a Special Couple