March 2018 SOLSC 8/31 - Question #6
Tell about your Girl Scout experiences.
Never joined the Brownies or Girl Scouts. I'm sure they were in our area, but the 4-H Clubs were more prominent in our small farm community. So this is the group that I joined.
I'm not sure the year or how old, but I'm guessing that I was probably 10 when I joined. We had a local group and was led by a neighbor living down the street from us, Mrs. Heminover. Here's what 4-H is:
Never joined the Brownies or Girl Scouts. I'm sure they were in our area, but the 4-H Clubs were more prominent in our small farm community. So this is the group that I joined.
I'm not sure the year or how old, but I'm guessing that I was probably 10 when I joined. We had a local group and was led by a neighbor living down the street from us, Mrs. Heminover. Here's what 4-H is:
4‑H is a community that provides experiences where young people learn by doing. Kids complete hands-on projects in areas like health, science, agriculture and citizenship, in a positive environment where they receive guidance from adult mentors and are encouraged to take on proactive leadership roles.
4‑H Pledge
I pledge my head to clearer thinking,
My heart to greater loyalty,
My hands to larger service,
and my health to better living,
for my club, my community, my country, and my world.
My heart to greater loyalty,
My hands to larger service,
and my health to better living,
for my club, my community, my country, and my world.
This is where I learned to sew and cook, but there were so many other things that we learned. I can remember we had to give presentations, explaining how we created our handiwork. Each year we went to the country fair and showed the items we made. I can remember getting blue and red ribbons for some snickerdoodle cookies and a dress that I made. The first place items were eligible to move on to the State Fair and I did accomplish that at least once.
Our group presented skits - I'm not sure where, but it must have been at the county fair - one was about Grandma's Quilt and we got to move on to the State Fair. I think there is a picture in one of my scrapbooks.
I went to 4-H Camp Shaw-Waw-Nas-See, but I don't remember much more than the name of the camp or what we did.
This group helped me to learn a lot about how to be a good citizen in the community and in our country. It's a great organization and I'm happy to see that it is still going strong.
I am familiar with 4-H, but didn't know the pledge; it is just as relevant today as ever. May I borrow it for a Slice prompt? Your handiwork must have been beautiful (and yummy!) to move on to the state level!
ReplyDeleteOf course you can borrow it. Thanks for sharing
DeleteIt is so important for kids to be a part of a group to learn skills of working together. My cousins were all 4Hers, I was jealous that I never was part of that group. Of course I lived in the city and they were in rural Wisconsin.
ReplyDeleteYou say you learned to cook, huh? Well, does Dad know this? :) Sounds like a great organization. I heard about it when we visited Grandma and Grandpa or at the state fairs. Sounds like fond memories!
ReplyDeleteI think it is important you young people to join groups such as this. Besides building social skills, I gives a sense of community and shows what people working together can accomplish.
ReplyDeleteYour post reminds me of the fun I have each July when I go to the county fair. The part I enjoy the most is visiting the building with all the 4-H projects and the barn with the 4-H animals. What a great organization! It sounds like you learned a lot from it, but just so you know, it is fun for people like me to see what these kids have accomplished, too.
ReplyDeleteWe have 4 H here in O H I O but I joined brownies and went up to juniors. I admire children like you who learned from 4-H (especially going to state level)! It's so neat to read about your experience Judy! Thanks for sharing your slice.
ReplyDelete