Tuesday SOL 4/24/18 - Another question pulled from the Question Jar
As I struggled what to write today, I went back to what got me thru the March Challenge - The Question Jar.
Today's question:
What things did you NOT have as a child that we have today?
Today's question:
What things did you NOT have as a child that we have today?
When I grew up, there were no cell phones, no cordless phones, only phones attached to the wall that you cranked to get the operator so that you could place a call. But first you had to make sure no one else was on the line, because it was a "party line" consisting of probably five or more other families. Calling someone was only done out of necessity, not because you just wanted to chat.
No computers or laptops or I-pads, Kindles or electronic devices - we had dictionaries and encyclopedias and reference books to find out information.
No internet or satellite tv -only three (yes, 3) channels to choose from and after midnight the screen went blank and then a test pattern. No remote controls, you had to get up to change the channel.
No fast food restaurants (except maybe McDonalds). We rarely ate out unless it was a church or organization having a meal. No processed foods, every meal was made from scratch.
No battery operated toys - they worked because we used our imagination.
No electric keyboards - only a player piano.
No I-pods or Sony - we listened to music, ballgames, etc. on a transistor radio.
We drove manual shift automobiles with park, drive and reverse and had to start it with a key (at least it wasn't a crank!) and gas only cost 20 cents a gallon!
No air conditioning in the house (or car). We slept in the cool, damp basement during the hot summer nights.
Thinking about all this makes me so thankful for what we have today, but sometimes it's good to remember how far we have come and all the things we learned.
There sure were many things we didn't have growing up, but oh, the things we did have.
ReplyDeleteActually talking to the person sitting across from us instead of texting someone else.
Making up our own games to entertain ourselves. The list goes on.
I'm a little younger than you, but I remember going to the store and not having conversations happening around me unless there was another person nearby.
ReplyDeleteLove your question jar! I may starting to collect questions for those days when I need some inspiration. Great answer to your question. I agree with your last statement, it is good to remember how far we have come.
ReplyDeleteIt truly is amazing to see how much has changed in really a short amount of time. And to think we "can't live" without so much, when, yes, yes we could and we'd probably be happier and healthier! Thanks for going back in time, Mom! :)
ReplyDelete