Ken Follet - The Pillars of the Earth

This book has been on my shelf for several years and I decided it was time to tackle this "huge" epic  novel.  It takes place in the 1100's (which is not an era that I have read about), but in reading it, the author appears to take liberty with adding things from the 20th century.  It was very detailed and reminded me of Michener's writing.  The characters he created and their relationships kept the story moving.  It was interesting to learn how the churches of that era were created.  The architectural drawings were on stone.  The vision that Tom Builder and his stepson, Jack, had was unbelievable.  Follet made these buildings come to life.  The book also detailed life in a monastery and the "politics" that went on during that era.

A good read, even though it seemed to take me forever.  Follet has several other "epic" novels which I will read - some day!

Read - February/March, 2011

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

SOL 21/31 - Today We Celebrate 45 Years