Friendship Bread by Darien Gee
An anonymous gift of Amish Friendship Bread and starter sends a woman on a journey she never could have anticipated. Julia's 10 year old son died from a wasp sting and was in such a deep depression that she had no hope, was estranged from her family and had shut out her husband and only functioned enough to care for her daughter. One day she discovered a plate of Friendship Bread along with the starter on their front porch and her daughter convinced her to follow the instructions. This was only the beginning of something wonderful happening in Julia's life and in the lives of many other people in this small town. After a while, the "starter" seemed to be a nuisance, but became the drawing together, sharing and caring of many people.
A delightful story, a reminder of how delicate life is and what can happen with one kind act.
I remember when I received some of the starter - the bread was tasty and it was fun - for a while, but then you ran out of people to give it to and I used what I had and let it go. Maybe it's time to try the recipe and get it started again.
Excellent read - finished 5/19/11
A delightful story, a reminder of how delicate life is and what can happen with one kind act.
I remember when I received some of the starter - the bread was tasty and it was fun - for a while, but then you ran out of people to give it to and I used what I had and let it go. Maybe it's time to try the recipe and get it started again.
Excellent read - finished 5/19/11
Paying it forward does make a huge difference - especially when it happens at just the right time. I think it would be a great idea to start up the bread . . . and yes, at some point in time you have to put an end to it. It could go on and on and on . . . Sounds like a good read.
ReplyDeleteJust started listening to this book on audio cd on the way to work this morning. Good start so far!
ReplyDelete