The Last Time I Saw You - Elizabeth Berg

This is the first time I have read anything by Elizabeth Berg.  After reading this book, I will definitely read more books by her.

This book was about 5 main characters who were preparing to go to their 40th class reunion and the last one that would be held.  It told of their expectations and fears of attending.  She described their years in high school and what their lives were like at the present time.  It was a good read, funny in parts, sad in others and thought provoking in others.  It was easy to relate to some of the characters, and I could picture some of my classmates in some of the characters.  In the end, even though they didn't associate in high school, they became good friends after 40 years.

It brought back memories of my high school years, the reunions that I've attended.  This year would be our 45th and I decided not to attend.  I wasn't popular or unpopular in school.  I have some good memories and some things that I'd rather forget.  Since our 40th reunion, I have been in contact with my best friend since grade school.  We didn't have a lot of classes in high school, but have kept in touch over the years.  Last month we were able to get together for lunch.  She now lives in Arizona with her husband and was visiting her brother in Arkansas.  We had a delightful visit and plan to get together next year.  She is not going to the reunion either because of a planned trip abroad. 

I guess the main reason for not attending this year was because I felt out of place at the last one.  Yes, I remembered many people and talked to them and basically had a good time, but because of moving away from where I grew up, I felt that I didn't have a lot in common with them.  Most of them still live in the area and get together with each other.  It was fun and yet it wasn't.  We'll see what happens for the 50th.

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this -- I was like you: I wasn't popular or unpopular in school. Reunions just don't interest me either as I would feel out of place. I still feel that everyone would be putting on an act, trying to impress, and making life bigger than it is. My thoughts are that if I was meant to be friends with anyone from high school, we would still be friends. Or in some way we would have reconnected, but your life takes twists and turns. You move away, you lose touch, and you grow apart. We have great friends today. I'm fulfilled.

    It could be fear though too - I think anyone attending a reunion is brave!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

SOL 21/31 - Today We Celebrate 45 Years