MOTHER'S DAY - REFLECTION

Today is a day to remember my Mom.  It's been 22 years since Mom passed away, and yet it seems like I just called her on the phone yesterday.  Mom was kind, sweet, loved people, always made everyone feel like they were special.  She had a rough life when she was young.  Her Mother died at the age 39, leaving Mom (age 14), Uncle Bud (age 11) and Aunt Myrtle (age 4).  Since Mom was the oldest, she quit school in the 8th grade to take care of Grandpa Schimpler, Uncle Bud and Aunt Myrtle.  She raised her siblings and took care of the house - that's what you did in the 1920's and 1930's.  She met and married Dad in 1943 and moved to California (where he was stationed during the war).  Allan was born in 1944.  After the war, they moved back to Clifton and lived on the farm east of town.  I was born in 1948.  We lived on the farm until 1960 when we moved into town. 

After Allan & I went to school, she was a cook at the grade school and she helped Irene Hendron stain and varnish woodwork and cabinets.  She was always a hard worker.  She sewed, gardened and enjoyed life.  Her faith in God and dedication to the church was strong.  In her later years, she struggled with five different bouts of cancer - never complaining about the treatments or the disease.  Even to the end, she was a comfort to those around her.

She taught me a lot over the years, especially her faith in God.  Because of Mom, I am the person that I am today.  I try to emulate her, but I often fall short.  I only hope and pray that I have passed this on to my son and daughter and grandchildren. 

If she was here today, I would tell her how much I love her and appreciate all she taught me.  Thank you, Mom.  I know you are my guardian angel and watch over me every day.

Comments

  1. Grandma was an amazing woman! What a life she lived -- full of ups and downs, but like you said, she never complained. Thank you for sharing these memories of her on Mother's day. You are who you are because of her, and I am who I am because of you both. Thank you for being the greatest Mom and Grandma. I do believe that both Grandma and Grandpa watch over us every day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

Tuesday SOL - 9/25/12 - A New Beginning for a Special Couple