Handle With Care - Jodi Picoult
I listened to this book during my drive to Illinois and then finished it while the girls were sleeping.
Book cover: "When their daughter, Willow, is born with osteogenesis imperfect, a rare and painful disease, Charlotte and her husband watch their perfect lives fall apart. As medical bills mount and Willow's pain becomes too much to bear, Charlotte has no choice but to sue her doctor, her one-time best friend. While her husband is uncooperative, Charlotte must set personal feelings aside for the well-being of her daughter and financial security of her family."
This was a very painful and thought provoking book to listen to. The OI disease was not something I had heard about and fortunately it is a rare condition. OI is a disease of the bones, where they are so brittle that they break even while in the womb. Willow was born with five broken bones and two more were broken after birth. The story gives you the insight to the problems and difficulties of raising an OI child along with an older, normal child (who was always in the picture, but was set aside to take care of herself and help with the care of Willow). Charlotte had her hands full and was all consumed with the care of Willow to the point that she decided the only way that Willow would be taken care of later in life was to sue her doctor and best friend.
There were times when I really liked Charlotte, because she was a very caring mother and wanted only the best for her family. But, there were other times when I totally disliked her for what she did to her family and best friend. This is not a situation that I would like to have to deal with and am so grateful that my children and grandchildren are healthy. I do not envy any parent who has to handle illness with their children. I pray that these parents get the help they need and that they turn to God for answers to their problems and concerns.
"Handle With Care" was a well written novel about a very difficult subject. Jodi is an excellent author and I look forward to reading more of her work. If you read this, be prepared to love, hate, accept and cry.
Finished: June 3, 2011
Book cover: "When their daughter, Willow, is born with osteogenesis imperfect, a rare and painful disease, Charlotte and her husband watch their perfect lives fall apart. As medical bills mount and Willow's pain becomes too much to bear, Charlotte has no choice but to sue her doctor, her one-time best friend. While her husband is uncooperative, Charlotte must set personal feelings aside for the well-being of her daughter and financial security of her family."
This was a very painful and thought provoking book to listen to. The OI disease was not something I had heard about and fortunately it is a rare condition. OI is a disease of the bones, where they are so brittle that they break even while in the womb. Willow was born with five broken bones and two more were broken after birth. The story gives you the insight to the problems and difficulties of raising an OI child along with an older, normal child (who was always in the picture, but was set aside to take care of herself and help with the care of Willow). Charlotte had her hands full and was all consumed with the care of Willow to the point that she decided the only way that Willow would be taken care of later in life was to sue her doctor and best friend.
There were times when I really liked Charlotte, because she was a very caring mother and wanted only the best for her family. But, there were other times when I totally disliked her for what she did to her family and best friend. This is not a situation that I would like to have to deal with and am so grateful that my children and grandchildren are healthy. I do not envy any parent who has to handle illness with their children. I pray that these parents get the help they need and that they turn to God for answers to their problems and concerns.
"Handle With Care" was a well written novel about a very difficult subject. Jodi is an excellent author and I look forward to reading more of her work. If you read this, be prepared to love, hate, accept and cry.
Finished: June 3, 2011
Sounds full of emotions! As I told you before, I picked this book up when I was pregnant, but quickly decided it wasn't the right time. I don't think I'm ready for it yet. Maybe I'll try another Jodi Picoult book.
ReplyDelete