The Burning Man - Phillip Margolin

Book Cover:  Peter Hale is a young attorney with a lot to prove.  Crossing his father, one of Portland's most powerful lawyers, was a costly mistake.  Now, cut loose from his job and from his inheritance, Peter's landed in the public defender's office of a small Oregon town - and in the middle of a high-profile case that could make or break his career.  His mentally retarded client, accused of the savage murder of a college coed, faces the death penalty.  And Peter faces a choice - between the pursuit of headlines and the pursuit of truth, between the compulsion to save himself and the courage to save his client - in a devastating trial by fire.

I went from hating Peter Hale because he was a spoiled, self-centered guy, but he changed and I ended up actually liking him and hoping that he would achieve his goal of winning the case in the end.  The author had a way of weaving people in and out of his life - some to make him fail and others to help him succeed.  The author kept my interest and I wanted to keep reading.  I'd read another novel by him.

Finished:  August 13, 2011

Comments

  1. Interesting how you can hate or like a character in a book. I think that's good writing to have such strong feelings. Also thought it was interesting that you went from hating the Peter to rooting for him in the end. I wonder if the author was purposefully trying to do that. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

SOL 21/31 - Today We Celebrate 45 Years