Word of the Day #4 - Give - Wendy Smedley

As Max and I were walking this morning, I thought about the word "GIVE" and what it means to me.  I thought about the lyrics to The Little Drummer Boy - "I'm just a poor boy too, what can I give Him" and how he played his drum for the baby Jesus.  There are many verses in the Bible talking about giving.  Here are two that represent what God has given us:



 Mat 11:28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
 Mar 10:45 For the Son of man also came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."



The easy way out is to give money (if you have extra), but I think it means to give of myself to someone or to an important cause.  Yes, money is always needed, but what better way to give than to listen, be there for someone, give a hug, give a compliment, give encouragement, give your time, give a hand....  


As a mother and woman, I think giving comes naturally.  That's how God created us - to nurture and give to our spouse, children and grandchildren, friends and whoever we meet - without thinking about it or what will we get in return.  


God has given us so much by giving us his Son to die on the cross for our sins.  He gives us blessings and miracles each day.  Why then is it so difficult for us to give ourselves to others?  Why does it have to be for me?  Yes, receiving is nice, but giving makes everything else worthwhile and is such a fulfilling feeling.  Oh that we can all give like God gives to us.  The phrase "The more you give, the more you get" is very true.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

Tuesday SOL - 9/25/12 - A New Beginning for a Special Couple