SOL #18 – 3/18/12 Another modem bites the dust!
Over the years we have lost many modems (they died), but we’ve been more cautious over the past year or so. Whenever there is an imminent storm approaching, we unplug the computer, and disconnect the phone line. However, yesterday the sky was clear – no thunder or lightening to be heard or seen. All of a sudden, the skies opened and the rain came. Not thinking it was going to be a bad storm, my husband kept playing his Hearts game and thought one more hand and I’ll quit and shut everything down. Bam, pop, flash!!! And in a matter of seconds, the modem was kaput!
We thought perhaps it really wasn’t, but upon trying to connect later – nada, nothing, cannot find the server. I called our IPS and asked them to check to see if maybe it was their lines – “I’ll send out a repairman tomorrow”. On Saturday, I asked. Yes, someone will be there tomorrow.
I thought, oh no, I won’t be able to post my slice – there goes my perfect month!
Saturday morning, what did I see drive down the road? Was it a Centurylink truck? Where did he go? Not in the drive. My heart sank and I thought perhaps I was seeing things. Then not a half hour later, here comes the Centurylink truck. Two repairmen got out and said they were here to save the day! After a few minutes of talking with them, I wasn’t so sure about that statement. One of them forgot his glasses at home and the other said that he only did this sort of repair occasionally. To my delight, after 20 minutes, I had a new modem, the internet service was up and running and they were on their way to the next stop to save someone else's day – they only had six more to repair.

Yeah - a happy ending to a computer/modem failure! Not always the case and this was a somewhat quick resolution! Repairmen out the next day? 20 minutes later and all was in working order? Someone is watching over you! Glad you were still able to slice!
ReplyDeleteI love your sweet description of the "no so sure" repairmen. It made me smile! I know these computers become so a part of what we do. . .
ReplyDeleteSo glad you could get repaired so quickly. You were so lucky! Plus it gave you a perfect slice of life. :-)
ReplyDeleteHow dependent we've become on the internet. I find myself getting very upset when I can't get online. I feel like I'm cut off from the world! I'm so glad your service was back on quickly!
ReplyDelete