Tuesday's SOLSC - 4/3/12 - Why Do I Do It?
I browse the book shelves
I pick an author
I look at the cover
I read the synopsis
I think - Yes, that sounds good
I open the book
Start to read
Get thru the first chapter
Stop, put it down
Must not be in the mood to read
Pick it up later
Read another chapter
Hummmm, this isn't what I thought
Put it down
Pick it up the next day
Read another chapter
I'm not getting into this
Put it down again
Force myself to pick it up another day
Read the first 100 pages
Think, well I can't stop now
I keep reading - not really enjoying
Finally, I finish
Why do I do it?
Why can' I allow myself to stop reading a book I don't like?

That's so funny Judy! I on the other hand can't do it... 100 pages is probably even too long if I'm not getting in to it. It must be that your love for reading makes you think it will get better, it will get better!
ReplyDeleteI'm usually the same way, but as of late (with some lack of time), I'm learning that it's okay to abandon a book. It's hard to do because there is always that hope that maybe, just maybe, it will get better. This is hard to explain to kids too because we don't want every book they pick up to be abandoned, so we try to teach some perseverance - that "stick with it for a little bit" attitude.
ReplyDeleteWhew... I learned this lesson in elementary school, though I still rarely abandon a book. I still remember the very first one I abandoned (It was a Paddington book). I was traumatized!
ReplyDeleteIt's okay to let go of a book, however, you do give it a lot of chances to get better. I see Michelle's poetry bug has rubbed off on you. :-) Happy reading!
ReplyDeleteIt can be hard to push through as well as let go, that is why I start a new one, that usually helps me let go of a bad one! :)
ReplyDeleteToo many great books, too little time to read the bad ones! Maybe if you kept a basket to trade in at a used bookstore? I buy too many books & if I do start one that I can't manage, out it goes. Maybe you had a teacher somewhere that made you finish? Best wishes in finding all the best books!
ReplyDeleteInterest? Enjoyment? Reading for the purpose of...? I rarely stick with a book if it hasn't hooked me in the first 25 pages or so...good for you for being eternally hopeful that it will get better. I admire that! Hope you run across more books that you get hooked in quickly!
ReplyDeleteInteresting post. I usually feel the same way. I give myself about 50 pages and then decide whether or not I can keep reading; I just have too many books on my to read list and in my to read piles. Usually, though, because I know myself well as a reader, I rarely make choices that I don't like. Occasionally I won't be thrilled but I'm rarely disappointed.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun read! I really like the structure of this both in words and in presentation.
ReplyDeleteI also admire you...I will abandon a book OR even do the unforgivable---read the end --- and then decide. Sometimes this works for me because I think...ok, how is this author go to develop and pull this off?
I used to be that way, but I've adopted the "Life's too short to read bad books" attitude. Once in awhile, I will keep going--especially if it's a book for book club, and I start looking at it like it's a homework assignment. But I do think some books are "slow starters", meaning it takes 100 pages to really get into it. It really depends on what I've heard about it.
ReplyDeleteI picked up 2 books in a new series from the library. I want to like them, but it's not working. I guess we all need permission to abandon books!
ReplyDelete