Memorial Day - A Reflection
Today we celebrate Memorial Day - May 28, 2012. A day of remembrance, a day of reflection, a day of thanks, a day of celebration.
When I was growing up, we called it "Decoration Day" (it officially changed to Memorial Day in 1967) and we always celebrated it on May 30th. (in 1971, it was changed to the last Monday in May). My parents were very involved in the American Legion and Auxiliary. Every year to honor those who died serving our country and all veterans, the Auxiliary made wreaths for the soldiers' graves (a sprig of evergreen, a handmade poppy tied with red, white and blue ribbon). Along with these wreaths, an American flag was placed on each grave. I remember helping my Dad locate all of the graves in our local cemetery and putting out the flags the Friday before Memorial Day. And then, on Memorial Day, there was a special service at the cemetery honoring those heroes with speeches, music, a 21 gun salute and playing of the taps.
My Dad served in the Army during WWII. My husband's uncle served in the Army during WWII and was killed in action. My brother and my husband's brother served in the Army during the Vietnam War. My husband served in the Air Force during the Vietnam War and continued in the USAF Reserves for 26 years. Our son served in the Army in the early 1990's during peace time. Each one of them took an oath and followed orders. I am so thankful that I never received a message saying that a love one was killed in the line of duty.
While these military personnel put their lives on the line every day, their families are also American heroes and need to be recognized. I remember the times when my husband served overseas when called - the unknown of where he was, when he was coming home, if he was okay. It was difficult in the 70's and 80's - little communication - no cell phones, no Skype, no e-mail. It's easier to communicate today, but it is still difficult to keep things going at home.
I want to thank all who have served and are currently serving in the military for the United States of America. Let us not forget those who have passed and keep all who serve in our daily prayers. Let us keep Memorial Day in perspective by teaching our children the true meaning of this day - not just parades and picnics - but about the people who lost their lives to protect us. God bless them, their families and the United States of America.
When I was growing up, we called it "Decoration Day" (it officially changed to Memorial Day in 1967) and we always celebrated it on May 30th. (in 1971, it was changed to the last Monday in May). My parents were very involved in the American Legion and Auxiliary. Every year to honor those who died serving our country and all veterans, the Auxiliary made wreaths for the soldiers' graves (a sprig of evergreen, a handmade poppy tied with red, white and blue ribbon). Along with these wreaths, an American flag was placed on each grave. I remember helping my Dad locate all of the graves in our local cemetery and putting out the flags the Friday before Memorial Day. And then, on Memorial Day, there was a special service at the cemetery honoring those heroes with speeches, music, a 21 gun salute and playing of the taps.
My Dad served in the Army during WWII. My husband's uncle served in the Army during WWII and was killed in action. My brother and my husband's brother served in the Army during the Vietnam War. My husband served in the Air Force during the Vietnam War and continued in the USAF Reserves for 26 years. Our son served in the Army in the early 1990's during peace time. Each one of them took an oath and followed orders. I am so thankful that I never received a message saying that a love one was killed in the line of duty.
While these military personnel put their lives on the line every day, their families are also American heroes and need to be recognized. I remember the times when my husband served overseas when called - the unknown of where he was, when he was coming home, if he was okay. It was difficult in the 70's and 80's - little communication - no cell phones, no Skype, no e-mail. It's easier to communicate today, but it is still difficult to keep things going at home.
I want to thank all who have served and are currently serving in the military for the United States of America. Let us not forget those who have passed and keep all who serve in our daily prayers. Let us keep Memorial Day in perspective by teaching our children the true meaning of this day - not just parades and picnics - but about the people who lost their lives to protect us. God bless them, their families and the United States of America.


Judy, What a great reflection/tribute! You are so right we should be so very thankful of the men and women who protect us each and everyday. Thanks for reminding us!
ReplyDeleteThanks for taking the time to write this reflection. I know I don't pause often enough to remember those who are serving our country.
ReplyDeleteRuth
We need more than one day a year to honor the men and women who serve in the military. Your family has given so much. Thanks for your words to remind us of the sacrifices made by so many.
ReplyDeleteYou took me back when you wrote about it being called Decoration Day. My grandparents never did call it Memorial Day. I always thought it was appropriately named as a kid because it was what we did every year. Traveled to the cemetery and decorated.
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing to think what we take for granted and to offer one day - just not enough! The sacrifices of leaving your family to serve and support your nation is honorable and I think it should still be called "Decoration Day." I like that too. Great reflection on a day many just accept as a day off from school and work!
ReplyDeleteThanks for remembering and writing about Memorial Day...my dad and uncles served in the WWII and Korean War era (my Dad was on the tarmac with orders to Korea twice, but was recalled both times and did not have to go to war), my husband had a number that was not called up in the draft during the VietNam era, but joined the Air Force near the end and was part of an airlift evacuating orphans...later he served as an Army chaplain for 10 years spanning parts of the 80's and 90's. My son has been a US Marine for almost 10 years now, including duty in Iraq. A remembrance of Memorial Day is very meaningful to me. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteThanks for reminding us about why we cherish this day as a nation-the purpose...I think I remember the vice president saying we owe them a debt of gratitude which can never be repayed...so true. Thanks to all those men and women who are serving us daily by protecting so many excellent freedoms.
ReplyDeleteLindsey traveled to Washington DC this weekend and was struck by all the flowers and raw emotions. I'm glad she was able to experience what Memorial Day is all about.
ReplyDeleteThanks for such a thoughtful post! Thank you for honoring those who have served!
Thank you for this. My family too has a long history of those who served & I thank them all for giving all or parts of their lives to keep us safe. I too used to know it as decoration day & we gathered great armloads of flowers to take to the cemetery for each grave we wanted to visit. There is a great site online about the story of the red poppy & its history. This is a lovely tribute!
ReplyDeleteThank you for your words in this heartfelt tribute.
ReplyDelete