Return Policy - Michael Snyder

Book cover:  "Meet Willy Finneran, washed-up genre novelist with an espresso maker that just won't die and a habit of avoiding conflict, even if it means putting the truth on a sliding scale. Ozena Webb, customer service rep and single mother of a mentally handicapped (from an early childhood accident) twelve-year-old boy.  She spends every evening playing board games with her son. And Shaq, a small and scraggy homeless man with trauma-induced blank spots on his memory, trying to piece together the story of his life while assisting Father Joe at the Mercy Mission.


As their stories intersect, the narrative vacillates between hope and naivete, comic relief and postmodern ennui.  Startling in its authenticity, this unforgettable novel reveals that no matter how far one has strayed from hope, there is always a way to return." 


This was a difficult book to get into, in fact I put it aside for over two months and then finally decided to finish it - not because I enjoyed it, more because I have a hard time leaving books that I have started.  What did I get out of it, I'm not sure.  It was hard to see how the characters related to each other until the very end.  It was sad and yet there was hope and finally love.  Would I recommend it?  No and I don't think I will read anything else by this author.


Finished:  May 27, 2012

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

SOL 21/31 - Today We Celebrate 45 Years