Tuesday SOLSC - May 22, 2012 - Is it really a weed?

Is it a beautiful flower growing along the roadside or is it "just another weed"?

When I was growing up, we called it a "carrot top", but I later found out it was also called "Queen Anne's Lace" - it's a "wild carrot" or it formal name is Daucus carota.

Wikipedia states:  "Wild carrot was introduced and naturalized in North America, where it is often known as "Queen Anne's lace".  It is so called because the flower resembles lace; the red flower in the center represents a blood droplet where Queen Anne pricked herself with a needle when she was making the lace. The function of the tiny red flower is to attract insects.


Take a close look at the intricate white flower and you see that indeed it does look like white lace.  It is so delicate and beautiful and abundant in our Arkansas ditches.  I once again marvel at the beautiful wild flowers that God has created for us to enjoy.


Is it a beautiful flower growing along the roadside or is it "just another weed"?  Yes to both and a beauty to behold!


Comments

  1. I remember moving into our house and not knowing what was a weed and what was a flower! Usually I got it wrong every time because those weeds are so conspicuous and beautiful as you note. So I like your answer to is is a beautiful flower or just another weed - yes to both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy,
    Funny, I was just looking at this "weed" the other day in my garden and it looks exactly like the green top of carrots, but no white "lace"...and I asked myself should I pull it or leave it?? I decided to leave it because It was so wispy and delicate. So thanks for reminding me not to really care..either can be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never noticed the red in the flower. I will have to look closer the next time I pass one on my walk. Who gets to decide if it's a weed or flower? Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Queen Anne's Lace. I always leave it because I think it's so pretty. I know some consider it a weed, but I just like it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the wild beauty of Blue Bells, Black Eyed Susan and other flowers that cheer us onward every say of the summer. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

SOL 21/31 - Today We Celebrate 45 Years