Tuesday SOLSC - Reasons to write vs. why I don't write

At the end of the March challenge, I was lucky to win one of the prizes - "Storyology by Ali Edwards".  I have been working my way slowly thru the workshop - it is excellent.  I have been creating scrapbooks for about eight years, although while I find it rather easy to put the pictures on the pages, I procrastinate about doing the journaling.

One of the questions that Ali asks is "why do I write or tell stories".  For some reason (and I think it had a lot to do with the March challenge), I made quite a list of reasons to write.  The next question was "what's holding you back from telling these stories".  My list didn't come quite as easy and I really don't know why I find it so hard to journal in my scrapbooks.  Is it lack of time, do I think the pictures will tell the story, do I think no one will care?  Ali has a lot of encouraging words and different ways to think about journaling.  As I said, I'm going thru the class slowly and trying to grasp it all.

I'm hoping that with my continued blog writing and posting that I will be encouraged to tell the stories that my pictures don't fully tell.  So many pictures, so many stories, my brain hurts thinking about them all, but I will persevere and follow thru.  I want to tell my story - I need to tell my story.

Comments

  1. Writing sometimes just comes hard. I haven't written nearly as much since the end of March. I just wasn't finding the inspiration or making the time. I'm hoping the Teachers Write challenge gets me going again. Maybe just take one favorite picture and write the journaling for it. Then another. Then another. Maybe if you only look at one picture at a time, it won't be so overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy,
    I think you know the answer to "does anyone care?" Sharing our thoughts is not always easy, but I think you agree the feeling when reading the comments is unbelievable. I agree sometimes pictures tell more than the story, but, the story helps connect to a whole other level. Keep telling those stories, and quite honestly if in fact nobody cared....who cares!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The journaling will be treasured by your family forever. Take the time and tell the story with the pictures. It will be your voice when your voice is no longer there. I've come to this realization a little late. I wish I had the "voice" of my grandmothers to reflect on now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, do tell your story in the journaling... Do you have a template you can use to type them on the computer? What is your favorite way to journal?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, everyone has said it best. Your voice does matter and your family does care! The memories you bring alive - your words, your voice. I think maybe you feel that you can be creative with the scrap booking, and after expending all that creative energy, the words can be harder to play with -- but I agree: You need to tell your stories. Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

SOL 21/31 - Today We Celebrate 45 Years