Tuesday SOL - 7/17/12 - A Reflection about my Mom
Even though it's a couple days early, I want to honor my Mom in today's slice. Thursday (7/19) would have been her 94th birthday, but she passed on 23 years ago. She was a remarkable woman - her life was not an easy one, but she always made the best of everything. Her mother died at the early age of 33, leaving my Mom (14), her brother (12) and her sister (4). During that era, it was natural for my Mom to quit school and take care of the house, her father and raise her siblings. Mom never got past the 6th grade, but yet she was one of the wisest people that I know.
She always had a smile on her face and had compassion and love for everyone. Her faith in God was her number one priority and God worked through her in everything she did. She never complained about "how bad life" had been for her. She accepted it, moved on and tried to make things better for her family and friends.
Even after several bouts with cancer and when she was ready to go to her final resting, she was a comfort. She held my hand while I cried and comforted me with her soothing voice.
She was (is) a special person in my life. Happy Birthday, Mom. You're the Best! I miss you!
She always had a smile on her face and had compassion and love for everyone. Her faith in God was her number one priority and God worked through her in everything she did. She never complained about "how bad life" had been for her. She accepted it, moved on and tried to make things better for her family and friends.
Even after several bouts with cancer and when she was ready to go to her final resting, she was a comfort. She held my hand while I cried and comforted me with her soothing voice.
She was (is) a special person in my life. Happy Birthday, Mom. You're the Best! I miss you!

Your mom was a beautiful person. What a legacy.
ReplyDeleteDon't you wish everyone could have a mom like yours? How blessed we are to have those special people in our lives!
ReplyDeleteYour mom's influence continues to influence and inspire. What a loving gift.
ReplyDeleteYour mom's influence continues to influence and inspire. What a loving gift.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday to a wonderful mom. She lives on through you!
ReplyDeleteGrandma was an awesome inspiration to many! Never a complaint. Never a doubt. Never a worry from her. I can't believe it's been 23 years. Wherever does the time go? Yes, life goes on, but the beauty and memories live on forever and I thank you for allowing me the reminder of my beautiful grandmother. Wouldn't it be fun to sit around and talk with her again? I can picture her smiling and laughing. Thanks for the precious memories.
ReplyDeleteLove you Mom - a new(ish) grandmother!
Michelle
Oh my. I hadn't expected to cry today. Thank you for sharing the memories of your mother. I started to cry when I saw who your daughter is. Congratulations on being a grandmother.
ReplyDeleteI was so touched that even in your mothers illness, she was a comfort to you as she held your hand as you cried.
Thank you so much for sharing some of your memories. I am grateful.
I struggled through writing one of my own blogs today. I didn't expect to struggle to get through reading a blog today. It's been an emotional week! Lots of reminiscing. Thank you for sharing a little bit about your mom. What a wonderful person. Happy Birthday to your mom!
ReplyDeleteIn honor of your mom, I promise to stop whining about the silly stuff (especially the heat!). She sounds like a fantastic lady who raised a lovely family and her brothers.
ReplyDeleteShe sounds like an amazing woman. Your post is a beautiful tribute.
ReplyDeleteJudy,
ReplyDeleteIt's so beautiful that she was comforting you at the end of her time. That's a mother's love...something special between a mother and her children that only she knows. This is a wonderful tribute to her! She sounds like quite a lady!
Thanks for sharing,
Amy
A mother's love is so enduring, even beyond the grave. Thank you for celebrating her birthday with your words.
ReplyDeleteYou managed to capture the love you feel for your mom so beautifully in this post. Thanks for taking the time to share your memories of her with us.
ReplyDelete