Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult
Goodreads Summary: "One miscarriage too many spelled the end of Max and Zoe Baxter's marriage. Though the former couple went quite separate ways, their fates remained entangled: After veering into alcoholism, Max is saved in multiple senses by his fundamentalist conversion; Zoe, for her part, finds healing relief in music therapy and the friendship, then romantic love with Vanessa, her counselor. After Zoe and Vanessa, now married, decide to have a baby, they realize that they must join battle with Max, who objects on both religious and financial grounds. Like her House Rules and several other previous Jodi Picoult novels, Sing You Home grapples with hot button issues."
Picoult has a way of "hitting" those difficult issues that I try not to ponder on, but when it's in black and white and is written in such a way that makes me wonder exactly how I feel about the subject of homosexuals, I find that I need to think about it. I know people who are "gay" and they are just regular people with feelings like me, but they struggle more because of how people treat them. While I strongly believe what the Bible says that a marriage should be between a man and a women, I also think that some people are not destined to have that type of relationship. Should they be allowed to marry in the same sense as heterosexual couples? I don't feel comfortable with that and don't condone it. Should they be allowed to live in a man-man or woman-woman relationship? I think if that is there preference, then so be it.
This story then progressed from being about homosexual relationships to embryos that were frozen for use of invetro fertilization - who should they belong to after a divorce? A fast talking, Bible spouting preacher, a trial, false accusations, and finally giving up to save the embryos.
Picoult wrote a good book about some very relevant issues of today. Things we don't want to think about as long as they don't happen to anyone we know.
Finished: August 27, 2012
Picoult has a way of "hitting" those difficult issues that I try not to ponder on, but when it's in black and white and is written in such a way that makes me wonder exactly how I feel about the subject of homosexuals, I find that I need to think about it. I know people who are "gay" and they are just regular people with feelings like me, but they struggle more because of how people treat them. While I strongly believe what the Bible says that a marriage should be between a man and a women, I also think that some people are not destined to have that type of relationship. Should they be allowed to marry in the same sense as heterosexual couples? I don't feel comfortable with that and don't condone it. Should they be allowed to live in a man-man or woman-woman relationship? I think if that is there preference, then so be it.
This story then progressed from being about homosexual relationships to embryos that were frozen for use of invetro fertilization - who should they belong to after a divorce? A fast talking, Bible spouting preacher, a trial, false accusations, and finally giving up to save the embryos.
Picoult wrote a good book about some very relevant issues of today. Things we don't want to think about as long as they don't happen to anyone we know.
Finished: August 27, 2012
Wow - this hit on so many hot topics. As technology improves, you wonder if it's really worth all the chaos that results.
ReplyDelete