Tuesday SOL - 8/21/12 - Silence
Max and I stepped outside this morning - one of the first mornings that it was cool enough to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee. I told Max to "listen", his ears perked up and he looked, he sniffed and looked at me as if to say "What am I listening to?".
There was silence - nothing - no sounds
No rustling leaves
No birds chirping
No car or boat engines roaring
SILENCE - a breathe of fresh air
And then,
And then,
And the day had begun and the silence disappeared.
There was silence - nothing - no sounds
No rustling leaves
No birds chirping
No car or boat engines roaring
SILENCE - a breathe of fresh air
And then,
An owl hooting in the distance
A cow mooing in a pasture far from our house
Birds tweeting and chirping
A squirrel rustling thru the trees
The sound of a train whistle some 30 miles away
Crickets chirping
God's earth was awakening little by little
And then,
The sun came up over the lake
And the day had begun and the silence disappeared.

Gorgeous description! Been there. Such a special time hearing the world awaken....and being there before it happens!
ReplyDeleteOh, love this! "God's earth was awakening little by little." Such a beautiful description! Poor Max had no idea he was supposed to listen to nothing! Sounds like our 2 little angels when you tell them there is nothing to look at or something is all gone, they respond with, "I see all gone." or "I see nothing." And at that moment the silence is gone, but the beauty of the day is awake!
ReplyDeleteWhat a perfect slice to start my day! Thank you Mom! Can you believe you've been "slicing" for 6 months already? See what writing will do for the soul? Love you!
I start nearly every morning on my back porch with my cup of coffee, book, and laptop. But I always pause to listen to that silence before the daily commotion begins. There's magic in that moment, when it seems as if even the birds conspire to create quiet; as if all the world has their head bowed in prayer.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing.
I sit outside too early in the morn, but have not heard a train whistle. Maybe I'm not paying enough attention. This is beautifully written, Judy. Thanks for the words to slow down a bit, and listen.
ReplyDeleteOh yes, you have captured that special moment when the quiet of the night turns into the music and action of the day. I will think of this as I walk tomorrow morning and watch the magic unfold!
ReplyDeleteAh...I hope that we get lots of those days on the weekends. I really miss my slow cup of Joe right now. What a wonderful moment you've written about, Judy. xo
ReplyDeleteLove how you described an the beginning of the day...it's my most favorite time! Such talent between a mom and daughter!
ReplyDeleteI love this moment in time! I listen on the way to work as I round the lakes within our city. Not quite as nice as sitting with coffee but love the quiet moving towards busy day feeling in the morning. Thanks for the post.
ReplyDeleteI love this moment in time! I listen on the way to work as I round the lakes within our city. Not quite as nice as sitting with coffee but love the quiet moving towards busy day feeling in the morning. Thanks for the post.
ReplyDeleteI take a quick jaunt outside every morning with my dog and notice sounds coming on just as you have noted. I suppose they are already on and maybe it is just my ears that open and shut!
ReplyDeleteJudy,
ReplyDeleteThere is just something so magical about the transition from silence to sound-it's wonderful that you were able to capture these moments and share them in a slice...
Our main night sound now is the crickets-they are very noisy right now-cricket song fills the air every night.
Thank you for moving us through the first parts of your day with Max. You encouraged him to listen, which encouraged me to pay closer attention. The silence got louder and brighter.
ReplyDeleteLike you, I enjoy listening to the "silence."
ReplyDelete