Tuesday SOL 10/16/12 - A Patchwork Quilt
Yesterday, a friend posted this picture and wrote that it reminded her of a Patchwork Quilt. I have often thought this same thing when I have flown between Chicago and Branson. Upon taking off from Chicago, I look down at the intricate designs created by block after block of buildings attached by the streets and highways or railroad tracks. When you are on the ground, you don't get this perspective - you can't see the whole picture of how everything is connected together.
As you fly further south, the city turns to farmland - a beautiful sight. Each section of land is fit perfectly along to the next, sometimes there is a road running between them, other times it's a river. Depending on what the farmer planted or which direction he plowed the field or if the wheat field has been harvested, you can see a different texture or color. Most of the time they are perfectly shaped squares, sometimes a pond appears or a group of trees give you yet another perspective.
And then as you get closer to Branson, you see the lakes weaving their way through the rolling hills of the Ozarks.
I love the look of a patchwork quilt with its varying colors and the feel of the different textures of the fabrics. I love how each piece fits next to each other to create an intricate pattern. And, I love how God has created such a beautiful design for us to enjoy every day.


You have described the view from above perfectly. I love that perspective of the land below. When the fields aren't straight edged, I wonder why and wish I could visit it to discover the reason.
ReplyDeleteI've often thought the same thing..but you said it so beautifully!
ReplyDeleteI had the same kind of feeling this week driving through Kentucky, even though I couldn't see the "big picture." I guess it was more like a portrait quilt than a patchwork. Don't you just love fall?
ReplyDeleteBeautifully described! It's amazing to see that view - nothing else quite like it, except a patchwork quilt.
ReplyDeleteTerrific photo & description, Judy. I'd love to see a city, too. I've been to the Ozarks many times in my early years as I grew up in Missouri. From a plane, the woods look dark & interesting too. thanks for reminding us of this look from above!
ReplyDelete