All He Ever Wanted by Anita Shreve

Goodreads summary:  "A marriage is always two intersecting stories." This realization comes perhaps too late to the husband of Etna Bliss-a man whose obsession with his young wife begins at the moment of their first meeting, as he helps Etna and her companions escape from a fire in a hotel restaurant, and culminates in a marriage doomed by secrets and betrayal. Written with the intelligence and grace that are the hallmarks of Anita Shreve's bestselling novels, this gripping tale of desire, jealousy, and loss is peopled by unforgettable characters as real as the emotions that bring them together."

This was my first book on my Kindle.  I wasn't sure if I would like reading on it, but it was a pleasant experience.  The book was not one of my favorites.  I have read Anita Shreve before and enjoyed her writing.  I think this was more the subject matter and demeanor of the husband that I didn't like.  It was written from his perspective and he was truly in love and devoted to Etna, but the love was never reciprocated and she felt trapped in the relationship.  This was written in the early 1900's when women didn't really have a choice and he was very much a male chauvinist.

I'd still read another Anita Shreve book.

Finished:  December, 2012

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

Tuesday SOL - 9/25/12 - A New Beginning for a Special Couple