Tuesday SOL 12/4/12 - A Prayer Shawl and Helping Hands


Last week I said that one of my thanks was for the "ability to crochet prayer shawls" and Jaana asked what a prayer shawl was.  So I thought I'd share a slice about this ministry at our church.

A prayer shawl is either crocheted or knitted, is about 24" wide by 70" long and made with light weight yarn.  We have a group of about 10 women at our church who knit and crochet these prayer shawls.  We pray while we are making them and then the Pastors bless them and we give the majority of them to the Hospice House for their patients and family.  They are also available at the church for anyone who is in need of a shawl to comfort them.  These prayers shawls have been a blessing to many and those of us who create them are also blessedIf you're interested in learning more about prayer shawls or getting patterns, check out the website:  prayershawlministry.com.  Included with the prayer shawl is the following prayer:

This prayer shawl has been especially created for YOU.

Guided by God's love for us
We extend His love to you.
With each stitch a word of
prayer was said for you.
Grace be upon this shawl. 

My prayer is that God will
grant you:
Strength for each trial,
Peace for each day,
Comfort from pain and suffering
And hope in His eternal love.

As you wrap this shawl 
around you,
May you feel God's comforting
arms enfolding you
The love of family and
friends surrounding you
The prayers of God's people
Comforting you.



T
And a story from when my granddaughters visited over Thanksgiving.  They found my basket of work-in-progress and so I showed them how I crocheted.  I explained each stitch, wrap the yarn around the hook, put it in this hole, etc.  I held their hands and worked the stitches with them.  Then both girls wanted to try it on their own, repeating my words and poking it into a hole.  I can see that in a couple of years I will need to start lessons so that they can continue this craft.




       





T

Comments

  1. What a wonderful gift to give to your granddaughters Judy...it is priceless! Thanks for explaining a prayer shawl...I too did not know what it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And of course the prayers from the younger ones will be sweet additions to a comforting prayer shawl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea. It is also great that you give them to hospice. Everyone needs a little comfort sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure those shawls give so much comfort to those who receive them. How cute that your granddaughters wanted to do it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way prayer is mixed into the creation of these shawls. What a blessing to the receivers.
    I am sure your granddaughters will remember this time with you. I still treaasure the times my mom and anut taught me to knit and crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea of a prayer shawl. It is such an added comfort. The girls loved helping you create it too! One day you'll be able to teach them. One of them may need a little more practice and patience! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judy, I came across your post this morning. It brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful way to bless people; whether they know or not, someone has prayed for them and blessed them! In addition, they have a prayer shawl to keep them warm. Almost like they are wrapped in God's arms. I think I need to make one! Thank you Judy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

SOL 21/31 - Today We Celebrate 45 Years