Tuesday SOL 2/12/13 - The Ups and Downs of Vacations

va.ca.tion 1: a respite or a time of respite from something; 3: a period spent away from home in travel or recreation

Sounds wonderful, doesn't it?  And, for the most part it was, but let me share some of our ups and downs during our week of respite.

Planning - where shall we go?  what shall we do?  should we fly or drive?  how long will we be away?

Preparation - searching for the right flights, and then hotels - when will we be there - one night or two; reserve a rental car; confirm our stay with my Aunt.

Anticipation - what will the weather be like, will we need jeans and sweaters or shorts and tees.  Don't pack too much, but how much is enough - only taking carry-on luggage.  Put the liquids in a baggy.  Camera, phones, chargers, Kindle, more chargers, money, charge cards....

The day arrives - sunny and nice at Branson... but then we watch the weather channel - Atlanta has bad weather.  The plane arrives, we board, the pilot backs out,  needs de-icing - 5 minutes, 10 minutes.  "Sorry folks, we have to go back to the terminal.  Atlanta has a ground stop.  Should be about an hour delay".  We wait and wait - so much for getting our connecting flight.  Three & a half hours later, we board, again.  Our connecting flight was cancelled, but we were put on a later flight.  Finally arrived in Orlando - only 6 hours late.  Get the car and try to find our way out of Orlando Int'l. Airport - first stop - a toll booth with traffic backed up a half mile - second stop (3 miles after the first) another toll booth - this could be a very long ride, but thank goodness that was the last of the toll booths and we found our hotel about a half hour later.  A very long first day and hopes that things would go smoothly from this point on.

And so they did.  We visited with my 85 year old Aunt - what a delight!  We drove through the Florida countryside, visited a botanical garden, walked along the beach, drove through the Everglades, saw lots of wildlife, met friends who were also vacationing, toured the Kennedy Space Center, traveled about 1,000 miles.  Saw many places that we have never been before, made u-turns because the map reader (me) couldn't always find the right place - Hubby says we bring the GPS next time!  Through it all, we had a delightful time and there were more ups than downs - which brings me to my OLW - grateful - for safe travel, good weather, wonderful seafood and traveling with my best friend.

Now the respite is over and back to the norm and as the saying goes, "There's no place quite like home".



Comments

  1. It sounds like all in all it was a great time. Delays are aggravating but we try to look on the bright/safety side when we have delays. Home is great, but it is also reality which can be suspended when vacationing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right Judy, anytime a vacation includes an airplane there will most likely be some ups an downs! I'm so glad once you got to your destination all went well...and sometimes missing the turn..leads to a whole new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you moved from the down-down-down to up-up- up, all the way to arriving home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) I'm getting ready for one in one week and I want to enjoy every minute except winter delays. I'm ready for the no snow dancing.
    Thanks for sharing your adventures,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading your post, I am ready for another- maybe? I am ready for that extended time of less I have to do this and then I have to do that. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a beautiful photo! Thanks for sharing, I really loved your post. I would have to say that the day of arrival is always the worst for vacations. Funny how that goes. You want it to be here so badly, but that is bound to be the day where you face the most obstacles. Also, I live in Orlando and the tolls NEVER quit. Awful! Nonetheless, I am glad it all worked out and you got to enjoy some time with family and friends experiencing new things. Florida is wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Flight difficulties aside, it sounds like you had a great trip! I'm a little jealous...I could use a nice, warm respite right about now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Through the ups and downs and extra turns, that's what makes a vacation fun! And you could never repeat it! I agree with Lynn, a wrong turn can lead to a new adventure! I love that you said you did it all with your best friend. Aw, too sweet.

    So glad you enjoyed your vacation! When is your next trip up north???

    Just wondering . . . your daughter, Michelle :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess you'd better go north-right? Glad that nearly everything went beautifully. I've traveled to Orlando several times with my students & it's quite a navigation feat to get out of that airport. Glad you made it to so many wonderful places. How did you like the alligators in the ditches? Amazing place!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photo makes me yearn for warmer days. As the commercial goes-you need the sunshine and palm trees of Florida!
    I love the Kennedy space center! It's been awhile since I've been there!
    Glad you went and got home safely!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

SOL 21/31 - Today We Celebrate 45 Years