Day 19 of 31 SOLSC - Community
At church on Sunday, a request was made to help out a friend in need. Vesta is in her mid 80's, has some health issues. Her husband passed away about four years ago. Two years ago she sold the home they had lived in for over 30 years. Six months ago, the people who bought it reneged on the contract and left her with a house in much need of repair. Needless to say, she was distraught and stressed.
Enter our church community. Needs were assessed. Plans were put together. Request for help was issued.
Today, we began cleaning. First there were three of us. Then, four, five and finally twelve people came to help. Bathrooms cleaned, walls spackeled, holes filled, walls washed, fans fixed, baseboard painted, outside power washed, bushes trimmed. Tomorrow, more people, more projects. Each day this week, more will be accomplished by our church community.
Vesta was there - shaking her head in amazement and asking how will I ever repay each of you. This from the woman who has done so much for others over the years.
Community - caring, encouraging, helping, supporting, listening, sharing. Community - our church, this writing blog, our family, our friends.
We are truly blessed and grateful for Community.

I'm shocked, first of all, that after so much time, they could back out of the contract! What a terrible situation but the perfect opportunity to come together and work as one. What I love about this is that all are welcome to help a friend in need, no matter what the skill level. Some were able to clean. Some were able to paint. Some were able to to do electrical work. The talents of others shine through as well as help out. What a great story!
ReplyDeleteWhat an awesome show of support for Vesta! Community is so important to help one in need or just offer a comforting word.
ReplyDeleteGreat post. We all need community. Although this is different, I am reminded of the gift this writing community has been for me, a first time blogger, as I read your post. Vesta received in the outpouring of your church community support. I bet all that did the outpouring received even more. Thank you for this post.
ReplyDeleteWow! I love to hear stories such as this! People taking time to help out others...priceless
ReplyDeleteIt is nice to read stories like this...to know that people can come through and help those at times of need. It makes me have faith in the human race. We so often hear of the bad....but I do think there are more good people...that people really to care and will help. Thanks for sharing this. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/
ReplyDeleteI love to hear stories like this. Ever since we moved to PA, I've heard lots more wonderful things like this happening for those in need. It's so important to take care of others!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful gift! I'm sure she will remember that for her whole life, and so will everyone who helped!
ReplyDelete