Day 25 of 31 SOLSC - Our First Day
Even though we were exhausted after our ten hour night drive, we couldn't help but be enthralled with the antics of our 3 years old granddaughters - Michelle has shared many of these stories over the month. We had such a great day with them and have many more to come this week.
As Michelle has written, M & P love to read and yesterday was no exception. P pulled out several books and asked me to read. M sat on the other side and said read to me and handed me another book. And so we read. P sat and listened, M got up and played, but still listened. P said, "Grandma, I'll read." She proceeded to read me the book, not word for word, but in her words telling me the story and pointing to the pictures.
A view minutes later M sat down on the sofa while I was sitting on the floor. She proceeded to open up the book, turned it toward me so I could see the pictures and told me the story that we had read.
Later M picked up a counting book and followed P around. She would turn a page and ask P "What's this?" P would turn to look and promptly answer the correct number. P walked away, M followed and continued on each page and at the end of the book where all of the numbers are listed, P had to state each number as M pointed to it.
I love watching their interaction with each other and how they are helping each other learn. It's going to be a great week!
As Michelle has written, M & P love to read and yesterday was no exception. P pulled out several books and asked me to read. M sat on the other side and said read to me and handed me another book. And so we read. P sat and listened, M got up and played, but still listened. P said, "Grandma, I'll read." She proceeded to read me the book, not word for word, but in her words telling me the story and pointing to the pictures.
A view minutes later M sat down on the sofa while I was sitting on the floor. She proceeded to open up the book, turned it toward me so I could see the pictures and told me the story that we had read.
Later M picked up a counting book and followed P around. She would turn a page and ask P "What's this?" P would turn to look and promptly answer the correct number. P walked away, M followed and continued on each page and at the end of the book where all of the numbers are listed, P had to state each number as M pointed to it.
I love watching their interaction with each other and how they are helping each other learn. It's going to be a great week!

It is fun to watch the girls interact. I have been so desperately trying to video when the girls "read" the books - it is too precious! But once that camera goes on, then the shyness kicks in.
ReplyDeleteThanks for capturing these moments, Mom! It will be a great week!
So amazing to watch literacy develop in these little ones. And so, so, so important! They are going to enter school so far ahead of kids who don't get talked to and read to! I wish you could tape them, Michelle! We would love a video slice!
ReplyDeleteWhat a literate home life these girls have! They must be so fun to watch them develop and change. Each one does it her own way. You are in for a fun week!
ReplyDeleteYou're going to have a great time. Well worth that long car ride!
ReplyDelete