The Fault Is In Our Stars by John Green
Goodreads summary: "Diagnosed with Stage IV
thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical
miracle shrunk the tumors in her lungs... for now.
Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumors tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.
Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind."
Another YA book recommended by Michelle. The author wrote an excellent novel about a difficult subject - cancer, cancer in children. Moving. I cried, smiled, laughed and cried some more. I fell in love with the characters of Hazel, Gus and Issac. I did liked Peter - until we discovered that his daughter died from this disease. I was in awe of their parents and how they "seemed" to handle their illnesses. This book makes me feel so grateful that my children and grandchildren are healthy. It makes me appreciate how my Mom handled her cancer and her outlook on life. I pray that soon there will be a cure for this dreaded disease. I pray for the children who have cancer and must deal with the pain, treatments, alone-ness and I pray from those parents who live with this disease. Excellent read for everyone, regardless of age.
Finished: March, 2013
Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumors tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.
Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind."
Another YA book recommended by Michelle. The author wrote an excellent novel about a difficult subject - cancer, cancer in children. Moving. I cried, smiled, laughed and cried some more. I fell in love with the characters of Hazel, Gus and Issac. I did liked Peter - until we discovered that his daughter died from this disease. I was in awe of their parents and how they "seemed" to handle their illnesses. This book makes me feel so grateful that my children and grandchildren are healthy. It makes me appreciate how my Mom handled her cancer and her outlook on life. I pray that soon there will be a cure for this dreaded disease. I pray for the children who have cancer and must deal with the pain, treatments, alone-ness and I pray from those parents who live with this disease. Excellent read for everyone, regardless of age.
Finished: March, 2013
Comments
Post a Comment