Tuesday SOLSC - 8/20/13 - The Sounds in the Early Mornings
This has been such a strange summer. Usually when August arrives, everything has turned brown, the humidity is high and the temps even higher. But this August, we were inundated with rain for almost three weeks and then last week, we were blessed with cooler temps (in the 70's), low humidity, sunny and a breeze. We turned off the air conditioning and opened up the house to enjoy the coolness at night - it was like a fall day and evening.
But the mornings are what I'd like to share with you. I'm an early riser and enjoy my quiet time before hubby gets up and the day begins. I check e-mails and play my Scrabble games. And then it's my time to spend with God - reading the Bible and devotions and sharing my concerns for family and friends in prayer. I have a special rocker that I sit in which located next to the patio door. As I sat in the quiet, listening to the ceiling fans click, Max snore, the refrigerator hum, I could hear two owls talking to one another. They were a distance away, and as I listened, I wondered what there conversation was about. Were they sharing their night's adventures, telling each other about their plans, or were they sharing their love for each other.
This morning, I once again waited to hear their hoots, but there was only one. He/she sounded somewhat mournful and seemed to be waiting for a response, but none came. I wonder if the other one was still on his nightly adventure, was he injured, did he find another place to roost. Do you suppose owls have arguments too? Hopefully tomorrow they will be back together and I'll hear their talk once again.
But the mornings are what I'd like to share with you. I'm an early riser and enjoy my quiet time before hubby gets up and the day begins. I check e-mails and play my Scrabble games. And then it's my time to spend with God - reading the Bible and devotions and sharing my concerns for family and friends in prayer. I have a special rocker that I sit in which located next to the patio door. As I sat in the quiet, listening to the ceiling fans click, Max snore, the refrigerator hum, I could hear two owls talking to one another. They were a distance away, and as I listened, I wondered what there conversation was about. Were they sharing their night's adventures, telling each other about their plans, or were they sharing their love for each other.
This morning, I once again waited to hear their hoots, but there was only one. He/she sounded somewhat mournful and seemed to be waiting for a response, but none came. I wonder if the other one was still on his nightly adventure, was he injured, did he find another place to roost. Do you suppose owls have arguments too? Hopefully tomorrow they will be back together and I'll hear their talk once again.

I love those morning sounds too. I do hope the owls return tomorrow, but you never know with nature. I've been listening to the birds in the evening and wondering what the topic is. Sadly I think our great weather spell is over and heat/humidity is coming back. I did love those cooler days too.
ReplyDeleteYou captured the morning slowness and calmness in this slice.
ReplyDeleteI don't know about owls, but some smaller birds have really heated discussions, probably even fights, in the wee hours of the morning. I hope the other owl returns.
I love this little story. I could easily imagine a picture book with adorable owls hooting to each other just as we communicate with each other. So many great questions and wonders. I wonder too what they are conversing about and hope they reunite to chat it up again. Thanks for sharing this early morning highlight!
ReplyDeleteMornings are definitely special. I will miss my mornings now that I am back to work....I will have to remember to pay attention to the sounds next time I can have my morning coffee outside.
ReplyDeleteI'm up right now at 5 and I have been reading and writing for an hour. Why not? I was in bed last night with my partner Tuvia by 6:30. He's recovering from surgery and we seem to be on the same page. No, we are on the same page. At 3 he was up for coffee... so I have been enjoying my early morning.... in the darkness. And here it's cool without AC as well.
ReplyDeleteLOVE the mornings :)