Tuesday SOLSC - 10/1/13 - A Reminder of How Much I Take For Granted
For the past two years I've been volunteering at the Ozark Center of Hope. We are a coalition of 30 churches and 80 organizations. We assist individuals in need of help with paying their shut off notices for electric, propane, evictions and help them to find other resources in our area who can also help them with their needs.
And, one of the most caring things that we help them with is personal care items - toothpaste, tooth brushes, deodorant, shaving cream, razors, shampoo, laundry detergent, bar soap, dish soap, toilet paper and feminine products. These items are not covered by food stamps.
These are items that I always have in my cabinet. Things that I take for granted. I purchase them without really thinking about it. I need them, so I buy them.
We have church groups that buy quantities of these items or give us money to purchase them. Our clients can come once every 60 days. I look at the size of the rolls of toilet paper and think "how can that possibly last more than a week." And yet, these people are so grateful for what they receive.
Currently we have a blanket drive in progress. We are asking people to donate new or gently used blankets. Last year we received over 300 blankets and were able to give out all of them. A number of these clients live in mobile homes that are not well insulated and are heated only with space heaters. So warm blankets are welcome.
I think about how many blankets I have in my closet and on my beds.
My OLW for this year is Grateful and I am so grateful that I can help those in need at the Center, not only in being able to help them pay for their utilities, and to give them items that they use every day, but I'm grateful that I can be there for them, to listen to their problems and say a prayer for them.
And, one of the most caring things that we help them with is personal care items - toothpaste, tooth brushes, deodorant, shaving cream, razors, shampoo, laundry detergent, bar soap, dish soap, toilet paper and feminine products. These items are not covered by food stamps.
These are items that I always have in my cabinet. Things that I take for granted. I purchase them without really thinking about it. I need them, so I buy them.
We have church groups that buy quantities of these items or give us money to purchase them. Our clients can come once every 60 days. I look at the size of the rolls of toilet paper and think "how can that possibly last more than a week." And yet, these people are so grateful for what they receive.
Currently we have a blanket drive in progress. We are asking people to donate new or gently used blankets. Last year we received over 300 blankets and were able to give out all of them. A number of these clients live in mobile homes that are not well insulated and are heated only with space heaters. So warm blankets are welcome.
I think about how many blankets I have in my closet and on my beds.
My OLW for this year is Grateful and I am so grateful that I can help those in need at the Center, not only in being able to help them pay for their utilities, and to give them items that they use every day, but I'm grateful that I can be there for them, to listen to their problems and say a prayer for them.

I think that the sound of your olw "grateful" speaks of the size of your heart - great.
ReplyDeleteYou are so right Judy, we don't realize how fortunate we are every day. What a wonderful group to work with and help those in need.
ReplyDeleteWow! I like how your gratefulness showed through your post! There is so much need! We give toilet paper, kleenex, laundy detergent, toothpaste and a few additional items at our single mom's dinners at church once a month.
ReplyDeleteJudy,
ReplyDeleteWe do take so much for granted. I'm glad you wrote this slice today -- I needed the reminder. I have an abundance. We are blessed to bless.
Thank you for sharing your time with such a great cause. It amazes me that food stamps don't cover personal items. The TP would especially stress me out! Thank you for reminding us to be grateful!
ReplyDeleteI think you ended with the most important item: saying a little prayer with them. I'm always amazed to hear your stories and appreciate the gentle reminders of how blessed we are and need to drop that feeling of always wanting more.
ReplyDeleteThanks for continually sharing your gratitudes! Quite powerful to focus on a word all year.