Tuesday SOLSC - 10/8/13 - My Mixed Feelings This Week
For the past nine months I've been preparing and planning for an adventure. Something I've never done before. Something that will help those in need. Something that will be enjoyable and yet consist of manual labor.
I'm going to Guatemala on a mission/build trip with Thrivent Build & Habitat for Humanity!
I have many different feelings going on in my mind.
I've gotten all my vaccinations and my passport, made travel arrangements, made my lists of what to pack, started pulling things out to pack, taking care of the little details that need to be arranged. All of the hotels and arrangements in Guatemala are taken care of, so that part is easy.
I am going with 12 other people of all ages, but most of us are in our 60's - yikes can we really handle digging trenches, hauling blocks, making mortar or will we be at the end of the build where we are painting and doing landscape. That's part of the anxiety - not knowing exactly what we're getting ourselves in to.
I'm excited because my brother is also going on the trip. We don't get together very often, so it will be a great time to spend with him. I'm excited to be visiting a country in Central America where the beauty abounds. I'm excited to be working with people who are dedicated to helping others. I'm excited to relate to people of a different culture and learning from them.
I'm apprehensive because I don't know the language or culture. I'm apprehensive going by myself without my husband, even though I'll be with those who have done this before.
I've searched the internet and found all sorts of information about this country. And, so I anticipate seeing beauty in the landscape, a lot of color in the architecture and clothing, people who are grateful even though they have so little. I anticipate coming home with a totally different outlook and knowing how easy and good we have it here in the U.S.
Putting all these mixed feelings together, I look forward to a week of learning, caring, sharing and being grateful.
I'm going to Guatemala on a mission/build trip with Thrivent Build & Habitat for Humanity!
I have many different feelings going on in my mind.
I'm excited
I'm apprehensive
Then there's the anxiety
And, the anticipation of what the week will bring
I've gotten all my vaccinations and my passport, made travel arrangements, made my lists of what to pack, started pulling things out to pack, taking care of the little details that need to be arranged. All of the hotels and arrangements in Guatemala are taken care of, so that part is easy.
I am going with 12 other people of all ages, but most of us are in our 60's - yikes can we really handle digging trenches, hauling blocks, making mortar or will we be at the end of the build where we are painting and doing landscape. That's part of the anxiety - not knowing exactly what we're getting ourselves in to.
I'm excited because my brother is also going on the trip. We don't get together very often, so it will be a great time to spend with him. I'm excited to be visiting a country in Central America where the beauty abounds. I'm excited to be working with people who are dedicated to helping others. I'm excited to relate to people of a different culture and learning from them.
I'm apprehensive because I don't know the language or culture. I'm apprehensive going by myself without my husband, even though I'll be with those who have done this before.
I've searched the internet and found all sorts of information about this country. And, so I anticipate seeing beauty in the landscape, a lot of color in the architecture and clothing, people who are grateful even though they have so little. I anticipate coming home with a totally different outlook and knowing how easy and good we have it here in the U.S.
Putting all these mixed feelings together, I look forward to a week of learning, caring, sharing and being grateful.

What an amazing adventure! I'm so excited for you and look forward to reading all about it in some future slices!
ReplyDeleteWhat an adventure this will be! I understand your apprehension but yet mixed with excitement. You will be a blessing for those in need! Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteWow, Judy, what a wonderful thing you are doing. To help others is just great, and to be with your brother will be so special, and the adventure-good for you! Happy Trails-hope you'll tell us a lot about it when you can!
ReplyDeleteHow exciting for you. I know several people who have been on mission trips and they say it is life-changing. Actually today, a minister who leads a "teacher bible study group" at school today just came back from Honduras. He talked about power and how those countries do not have the power of money but the power of Jesus. Have a wonderful time!
ReplyDeleteHave such a great time! I went to Guatemala last summer to study Spanish and loved it. I have also been thinking about a Habitat for Humanity trip. I hope to read about your trip in a future post.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh Judy an adventure for sure! What a fabulous way to give back. I can't wait to hear about the trip. Take care and good luck!
ReplyDeleteIt is a new, exciting adventure, but I can understand your apprehension, especially the part about going without Dad. But it will be an eye-opening, heart-awakening trip of a life time. Think of that firefly and the light that that one little bug can create. Be the light. Enjoy every minute. Take a notebook and record daily about everything you are doing, describe the people you encounter, sketch the beautiful countryside, hold tight onto your feelings and thoughts. I cannot wait to hear all about it! Safe travels and God bless you Mom!
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing adventure you will have. And although you will miss your husband, think of all the new things you will learn about and experience. Have a great trip. Can't wait to read all about it!
ReplyDeleteYou will have a memorable trip! You will be able to bless many that will carry your memory with them for years to come. Looking forward to reading about your trip.
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited and nervous for you... but in a good way! Have an excellent trip and be safe!! We can't wait to hear about the help and joy you will spread.
ReplyDelete