Tuesday SOLSC - 11/26/13 - Thrivent Built/Habitat Guatemala - #5 - Last Day and Closing Thoughts

Our week is over
our last day
a day to sightsee
a day to remember and reflect
a day spent with my brother
a day spent bonding friendships made during the week
a day to learn more history
a day that completes a journey that I will remember and that I can share.
a day....
 One of the many churches in Antigua that is being renovated and restored.  They were having a wedding reception in this building.
 This is part of the ruins of Santa Domingo - formerly a convent.  Santa Domingo is now renovated and is a Five star hotel in Antigua.  There were several crypts still containing  remains. 
 The water fountain at Santa Domingo.
 The flowers were beautiful and found
in many different areas of the city.



 Another church that we discovered across the street from the Jade Factory. Yes, I did some shopping in their store - beautiful jewelry.












And it was such a beautiful day, we decided to walk to San Francisco.... the cathedral.  And it was quite a hike, but we got there before the torrential downpour happened.  People were arriving for a wedding when the rains came.  We found the bride waiting outside under the tents.  The groom was dry inside and there were four flower girls - ages 6 down to maybe 2 (she was sleeping in Daddy's arms when they arrived).  We didn't stay for the wedding as it had finally stopped raining and we had other sites to see.  However, we found the streets were running deep with water and it was difficult to get across. 

At dinner later that evening, we each shared what this trip meant to us and so to finish up this journey, I'll share some of my thoughts.  When this trip was being planned, I thought "that's something I'd like to do", but then apprehension set in and I wondered if I could do this "on my own" without my hubby.  Brother to the rescue.  My brother and I talk frequently, but have never shared anything like this experience.  We became much closer and will always have this bond between us.  Our team and leaders are an awesome group of people - it seemed like I knew each of them for a long time - it was like renewing old relations.   Building the house from ground up was amazing - how quickly it progressed and the pride you could see on everyone's face.  The families that we worked with - so gracious and appreciative.  Leading such simple lives with such an amazing faith in God.  The country of Guatemala is beautiful - the mountains, lakes, landscape - and yet there is so much poverty and ruins.  I look forward to learning more about the country and people.

This journey has been a mountain top experience for me and by writing and sharing, I can keep reliving it.  I thank God for being with us and watching over us from beginning to end.  He is a gracious God.

Will I do a mission trip again?  You betcha.  Maybe next time, Hubby will go with!




Comments

  1. Great photos Judy and I wonderful memory. I hope you get to take another meaningful trip and happy Thanksgiving,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the beautiful photos Judy but more than that the beautiful memories of an awesome experience . . . I love how you put it a mountain top experience! Happy Thanksgiving Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an incredible experience! Your heart must have been bursting with joy throughout the whole time. You and the whole team were such a blessing to the families who got a house. Thanksgiving will have another layer of meaning for you this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doing deeds like this is what keeps our world a place where hope can still live. I am in awe of people who travel out of their comfort zones to bring comfort to others. I hope your Thanksgiving is joyous, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy have so many wonderful memories to treasure, and perhaps, to help you plan for the next trip! God is truly good! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures and such rich history! What an experience! Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's just wonderful that you did this, Judy, and with your brother made it more special as you shared. I love seeing the pictures-what beauty you saw! Everything is spectacular, but especially I loved the flowers! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an experience! Thank you for sharing what it meant to you. God's grace is beautiful to experience. Blessings and Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

SOL 21/31 - Today We Celebrate 45 Years