SOLSC 3/11/14 - Being there for a Friend
I got an e-mail from a member of our small group asking for prayers. Her husband was hospitalized and undergoing tests. He was experiencing heart rhythm problems. I promptly sent her an e-mail back telling her that both of them were in our prayers and asking if she wanted me to sit with her while she waited. I didn't get a response back that day, but heard that he was doing better.
This morning there was an e-mail waiting for me simply saying "Yes, I'll call you later." I didn't hear anything and finally called her to find out what was happening. She said they were waiting for someone to take him to the OR for an angiogram and could I come in around 1:00. I told her I'd be there.
When I arrived, they were still waiting. So we chatted and talked about when my hubby had his heart attack and all that transpired. They were both very concerned that the blockage was severe and couldn't be taken care of with stints. I tried to give them encouragement, but at times of waiting, the worst is often thought about. Finally at 1:40 they arrived to take him to the OR. We followed and waited. About 20 minutes later the doctor walked passed. The clock seemed to stop and Jan was having a difficult time holding it together.
I shared my experience when waiting for hubby's angioplasty. Our son was with me, but no one kept us informed as to what was happening. A woman waiting for someone started talking to me and assured me all would be okay. I prayed and then a feeling came upon me and I knew that all was good.
Again, I prayed and assured Jan that all would be okay. A little before 3:00 he was wheeled out of the OR to his room and we followed. He didn't remember anything except that they didn't put in any stints, but everything else was a blur. Now we waited again - this time for the doctor to come in to let us know what he saw and had done. Still thoughts of bypass surgery were in our minds. More prayers were said. Hugs given. Jan kept thanking me for being there. An hour later, he finally arrived and much to our relief he said there were three concerns, but the main news was that there were no blockages. No surgery was required. They would try some medication to manage the concerns, but all was well.
Praise God for his blessings and prayer for complete healing. More thanks, more hugs, more prayers. I'm glad I could be there to give comfort and distraction.
This morning there was an e-mail waiting for me simply saying "Yes, I'll call you later." I didn't hear anything and finally called her to find out what was happening. She said they were waiting for someone to take him to the OR for an angiogram and could I come in around 1:00. I told her I'd be there.
When I arrived, they were still waiting. So we chatted and talked about when my hubby had his heart attack and all that transpired. They were both very concerned that the blockage was severe and couldn't be taken care of with stints. I tried to give them encouragement, but at times of waiting, the worst is often thought about. Finally at 1:40 they arrived to take him to the OR. We followed and waited. About 20 minutes later the doctor walked passed. The clock seemed to stop and Jan was having a difficult time holding it together.
I shared my experience when waiting for hubby's angioplasty. Our son was with me, but no one kept us informed as to what was happening. A woman waiting for someone started talking to me and assured me all would be okay. I prayed and then a feeling came upon me and I knew that all was good.
Again, I prayed and assured Jan that all would be okay. A little before 3:00 he was wheeled out of the OR to his room and we followed. He didn't remember anything except that they didn't put in any stints, but everything else was a blur. Now we waited again - this time for the doctor to come in to let us know what he saw and had done. Still thoughts of bypass surgery were in our minds. More prayers were said. Hugs given. Jan kept thanking me for being there. An hour later, he finally arrived and much to our relief he said there were three concerns, but the main news was that there were no blockages. No surgery was required. They would try some medication to manage the concerns, but all was well.
Praise God for his blessings and prayer for complete healing. More thanks, more hugs, more prayers. I'm glad I could be there to give comfort and distraction.

Those hospital waiting rooms are such a hard place and time. I know your friend really appreciated you being there with her!
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet friend you are! You also know when your words need to turn into prayers--and answers came! PTL!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you could be there for her. What a wonderful thing to do.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad your friend will not have surgery and that it can be managed by medication. What a good friend to be there and support her.
ReplyDeleteYou are amazing Mom! As I was reading your slice, all I kept thinking about was our discussion last week during small group. We are reading James, and in the first couple of verses, he says to "count it all you, my brothers, when you meet trials of all kinds." We talked about what that meant and how hard that is to do, especially in the midst of the trial. However, one comment stuck with me: "Joy is a choice. Your trial today may help someone else in the future -- as His disciple for our God and for His Glory." Wow, your story is a perfect example -- from the other woman comforting you, to you comforting Jan. What a wonderful testament to you OLW: embrace.
ReplyDelete"count it all JOY (not you), my brothers, when you meet trials of all kinds"
DeleteWhat a good friend you are Judy . . . there is nothing worse than waiting because our minds go crazy! Your friend is very lucky to have you by her side.
ReplyDeleteWhat a good friend, I'm sure it made a huge difference. Waiting is the worst and to be alone is just too much. Glad to hear the outcome was so positive!
ReplyDeleteI know your being there was the best gift ever!
ReplyDeleteThis was the best thing anyone can do for a friend...to be there...to support...to be positive at such a scary time. I am so glad that things turned out. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/
ReplyDelete