Tuesday SOL 4/22/14 - The M & M Guy
Fifteen years ago when I retired from Elgin Sweeper, I was presented with a "M & M pillow". It had arms and legs, eyelashes and weighed in at about 5 pounds. Everyone from Sweeper autographed it and it has been a wonderful memory of a great place to work with some fantastic people. It had found a place on the loft and I didn't pay a lot of attention to it until...
Last summer when Michelle & the girls were visiting. M discovered the "M & M guy" one day and had to bring it downstairs. It was almost bigger than her. Of course, since there was only ONE "M & M guy", there were battles, so "M & M" had to be put up. Problem solved....
After they left, I thought it was time to dismantle the "M & M guy" and just keep the shell - you know trying to downsize. This is what she looked like dismantled.
Occasionally last fall, M & P (especially M) would ask where the "M & M guy" was. I told her he ran off into the woods because they had argued over him. One time M said, "Grandma, I really miss the M & M guy. I love him sooooo much." When we visited over spring break, she again asked where the "M & M guy" was. So I asked if they would like a smaller version of the "M & M guy" and both M & P smiled and cheered. Off to Hobby Lobby we went to find material to make an M & M guy. I didn't plan to add arms and legs, put they insisted. Here's what I came up with. They both wanted purple and I found fabric that had assorted M & M's for the back.
I'm hoping that M & P will be happy with their smaller version of the "M & M guy".

What a great grandmother you are! It's funny how kids grab on to something that seems odd to us but…they just love it. And I love how you provided that something because, of course…you love them. So sweet!
ReplyDeleteSo creative! I think I need to practice my sewing skills before it is time for grandchildren:-)
ReplyDeleteJudy!
ReplyDeleteThat is adorable! I bet the girls will love it. What an awesome gramma you are!
This will become a cherished grandchild memory, I am sure. But I must say the M and M guy looks decidedly like a gal.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! The girls are going to LOVE these M and M gals! Too cute! You are quite the creative thinker!
ReplyDeleteSoooo cute! This is what grandmas are all about . . . making dreams come true!
ReplyDeleteDon't you just love Hobby Lobby? They really have some unique things there.
ReplyDeleteLove the outcome and I know that M & P will as well.
You are too clever! That pillow is perfect and will be a keepsake forever. Those are some great lips!
ReplyDeleteThere is no ends to a grandmother's love, imagination and craftiness! You are indeed clever.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful compromise, Judy, and they're so cute. I think the girls will approve!
ReplyDeleteToo cute!
ReplyDelete