Tuesday SOL 5/27/14 - Remembering
I had something totally different that I had planned to write today, but then I received an e-mail with this video attached.
The Path of a Warrior
I also watched the Memorial Day Concert from The Capitol. It was very moving and brought tears to my eyes with each tribute.
Both of these made me think about how far we have gotten away from celebrating the true meaning of Memorial Day. How many people truly know what this day is all about? Do we celebrate because it's a day off of work, a long weekend, the beginning of summer, picnic or BBQ?
Or do we truly remember why this special day was created?
When I was growing up, this day was called "Decoration Day" - we decorated the graves of those who died fighting for our country. And then the name was changed to "Memorial Day" - a day set aside to remember the loss of those who fought for our freedom. My Dad was very active in the American Legion and Mom in the Auxiliary. Because of them, I became involved. I can remember cutting sprigs from the evergreen bushes to make wreathes with a poppy and red, white & blue ribbon to be placed on the graves. Selling poppies at the local grocery story to help the veterans. I helped my Dad put out the American Flags on each Veteran's graves in the local cemetery. I remember the ceremony at the cemetery, the 21 gun salute, Taps being played by a lone bugle. Chilling, moving, thought provoking.
Yes, there were picnics and family gatherings, but the day began with honoring those who have passed.
Today we not only honor those who have died serving the USA, but those living veterans, those who continue to serve, and those Wounded Warriors and all of their families. But why must it be only one day, shouldn't we remember these individuals EVERY day? We are so blessed to live in a country where we have so much freedom - all because of those men and women who believed, fought and died. God Bless the USA.

Judy,
ReplyDeleteSuch an eloquent post! "But why must it be only one day, shouldn't we remember these individuals EVERY day?" is such a powerful question. How I wish I had used that. See what you think of my post ~ http://franmcveigh.wordpress.com/2014/05/26/memorial-day-a-day-off-or-a-day-to-celebrate-heroes/ (Also not what I was originally planning on!)
A beautiful post. Kathy and I watched the concert as well. This year it really hit us hard especially the honoring of the WW II vets. There aren't many of them left anymore. I agree that these brave souls should be remembered every day.
ReplyDeleteJudy you are so right!!! We are so lucky to have so many men and women willing to give their lives for us and I for one am very very thankful! Thanks for reminding us of the true meaning of the day!
ReplyDeleteWe cannot thank the soldiers enough for the job they do. What a haunting but beautiful video.
ReplyDeleteYour thoughts about Memorial Day are spot on. (I'll have to watch the video later.) It's amazing to think we dedicate one day. As part of our nightly prayers with the girls, we do pray for the men and women who keep us safe and we pray to keep our soldiers out of harm's way. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete