Tuesday SOL - 7/15/14 - Remembering
After reading Michelle's slice from last week Michelle's SOL, my mind starting thinking and remembering when Michelle and her brother, Scott, were about the age of M and their visits to the ER and hospital. Remembering those times of accidents and illnesses. It's never easy having a sick child, not knowing for sure what to do, how to help, praying that all would be okay. Feeling helpless, relying on others to take care of your child.
Michelle was the fortunate (cautious - probably from watching her brother) one and didn't required many hospital visits. Her first visit to the ER was when she was two. We had started our journey to visit family and only got about 10 miles from home when we had to redirect to the ER. This was before car seats were required. She was trying to get settled in the back of the Suburban, lunged forward and hit her head on the side panel leaving her with a gash over her eye. It was a Friday night around 9:00 p.m. - the ER was full, her cut was not life threatening and so we waited and waited and waited. I finally spoke up and said that if they didn't do something soon, they would not be able to do anything. Action, lots of nurses, a doctor, on the bed, Michelle crying. Me trying to talk to her and calm her. Me laying on top of her to hold her down while the Doctor sewed her up. Me looking directly into her eyes and realizing what beautiful Hazel green eyes she had. Quickly it was over. No more tears, only calm and back on the road.
Both Scott and Michelle were susceptible to ear aches. Scott had tubes put in his ears and his tonsils removed. I don't remember that hospital visit, but afterwards all he wanted was Popsicles. Several years after his surgery, Michelle was scheduled for tubes and her adenoids to be removed. She was four. This was before the hospitals would allow parents to stay overnight. She was quiet the trooper and was okay with me leaving her (I, on the other hand, didn't sleep all night). Early morning back to the hospital to prepare her for surgery. The nurses told me of her night time adventure. She apparently snuck out of bed and stealthily found her way to the nurses station (just to make sure they were still there) and then quickly hightailed it back to bed before they could see her. Little did she know there were cameras! Surgery was successful and her hearing was greatly improved.
Scott had many ER visits, from a broken collar bone, a cut on his hand from trying to whittle, to a battle with a snow blower (God was watching over him), to a line drive hit back to him on the pitcher's mound and then the time when he was teaching his sister the correct way to swing a golf club. Unfortunately for him, he wasn't aware of her wicked backswing which sent him to the ER for stitches in the back of his head (her birthday present to him).
I'm glad those years are behind us and we survived. We were fortunate in that nothing that happened was life threatening or devastating. But, it's not any easier today. I still worry and pray about my children, their spouses and grandchildren. I give thanks to God every day that He is watching over them and caring for them.

I have three kids and been a parent for a little over seven years and have still not gone to the ER! I'm more lucky than anything, especially because two of those kids are boys. :) I liked your piece a lot--my favorite part was when you were describing Michelle's trip to get stitches, and the flurry of activity that occurred when they finally saw her. That flurry, that blur, of all things happening FINALLY and then at once…that is childhood in a nutshell!
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing what another post will trigger in your memory. I guess we kept you pretty busy! I remember the hospital stay and sneaking out of my room. I didn't realize (now in my memory) that you weren't there! I could have never imagined leaving! I also remember the kid that was in the bed next to me gave me the colorful, chewy Chuckles candy too.
ReplyDeleteThanks for always watching out for us and taking care of us ... even with the accidental mishaps. I think Scott kept you a little busier than me, unless I was involved. What I remember: I just wanted to swing the golf club by myself. I guess I didn't give him enough time to move! My uncle yelling at me (and I never heard him yell before!) and me crying in my closet. I did feel really bad!
What memories! m.
No matter how careful we are accidents do happen. A trip to the ER is always an emotional ordeal. It doesn't matter if we are taking a child or an adult. The experience is never easy.
ReplyDeleteEven though they are grown up, I know the feeling of worry that something will happen. Glad they survived their childhood with a few bumps and scrapes along the way.
ReplyDeleteWe've had our share too, Judy, & this latest one with my grandson was pretty scary, his eye & a baseball! But he's okay now, thanks to wonderful doctors. The five year old has a tonsils-out appointment soon. She has good feelings about doctors but we're wondering if that will change this time. Thanks for the memories-glad none of that was too, too much.
ReplyDeleteSomehow, we find a way to survive these visits to the ER, don't we? There was a time when we knew everyone at our ER - those were hectic days.
ReplyDelete