Tuesday SOL 9/23/14 - Jumping into New Technology


I said I didn't want it.
I said I didn't need it.
I said I could live without it.
But ....

Our cell phones are not our lives.  We use them to CALL someone and TALK to someone.  Our cell phones are used for emergencies, not to run our lives.  We have always used Tracfones - buy the minutes as we need them.  But ....

Times have changed.

First it was a phone (still a Tracfone) that I could use for texting.  I found it an easy and quick way to communicate.   But the phone that I purchased had a very tiny keypad and I struggled to type a message quickly.  So I started looking.  My friend had purchased a Smart phone from Tracfone.  We talked and I thought that maybe this would be okay.    A little bigger, lots more functions (and things to learn).  She liked hers (and like me, said she didn't need or want a smart phone).

So yesterday we went to our local Wal-mart to buy it.  Ha!  None to be found.  They checked Wal-mart.com and they were out of stock.  So more research - same phone on Tracfone was double the price.  Hubby suggested I check with one of the other Wal-mart's about 20 miles away and I found one.  Today we bought it. 

I have transferred my phone number and minutes, I've set up my e-mail (minor difficulties), I've inputted all the necessary phone numbers.  I actually made a call (just to make sure it worked).  I took a picture.  Now to learn all the other stuff that it can do.  One of the frustrating things is that the owner's manual is on line (just like for everything else). 

I don't think that the phone will be attached to my hand, but it will come in handy when checking out things on the web (when I'm not at my computer) and much easier to text.  Not an I-phone, but just what I need.



Comments

  1. Ha! I was sure this Slice would be the quest for an iPhone 6. But refreshing that it's not. I confess that I was not an early lover of the cell phone but I am so hooked now that I have lost 2 of my iPhone 5s drowned in the toilet. I still take it in with me.
    Stay strong. Don't take the plunge :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing how our lives have been impacted by technology? I hate that manuals don't come with things anymore! Enjoy learning the ins and outs of this new phone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of us, of a certain age, still wish there were written manuals, I agree. But more & more I am relying on online help. Guess they need to throw us in the water so we'll swim. Glad you found just what you wanted, Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your new phone. I also bought a Tracfone a few months ago. I didn't know at the time that it didn't use the same system as my old tracfone. As a result, I have no signal at home and can't use it. I ended up buying a second phone that uses the cell towers so I can use it at home. Outside of where I live the new phone works fine. I now have two different tracfones each with a different number. I just love technology!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can tell that I am an old fogey when I wish that we were supplied with instruction books...but then, there are times when I am glad that I can just look it up on the computer. I just wen phone shopping with my friend, Rae, for a phone that had a keyboard that was larger. I am still amazed at how small some of them are...and that people can actually use them. Have fun learning about your phone!. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to think cell phones were a luxury but since there are no phone booths anymore, they have become a necessity. I have to admit I wouldn't know what to do without one but that's ok! 😃

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your attitude - ready to learn and experiment. I bought a new phone but mostly still use it for calling. Sometimes I rake pictures. My youngest however uses her phone for multiple purposes and rarely calls with it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

SOL 21/31 - Today We Celebrate 45 Years