Tuesday SOL 1/19/16 - New Mentoring Program
After many months of planning and preparing, the day has come to begin an after school mentoring program for 8th and 9th graders at our church.
The plan is to welcome the kids after school for some play time and then some study time, followed by dinner with their families invited.
The principal at the junior high is a member of our congregation and has been promoting this program for some time, but as usual, not sure that anyone would come. What's the phrase? "Build it and they will come". So we begin today with six students.
I signed up to help the kids with their homework. Now I haven't seen an 8th or 9th grade textbook for many years. Since math and science are not my forte, I'm hoping that I'll be able to assist with other subjects. Of course, there's always a need for listening ear. We're having a "run thru" prior to the kids arrival. So we shall see what happens.
We have many hands working together to make this program work and help the young people with their struggles. An exciting time for us to begin something new and needed.
The plan is to welcome the kids after school for some play time and then some study time, followed by dinner with their families invited.
The principal at the junior high is a member of our congregation and has been promoting this program for some time, but as usual, not sure that anyone would come. What's the phrase? "Build it and they will come". So we begin today with six students.
I signed up to help the kids with their homework. Now I haven't seen an 8th or 9th grade textbook for many years. Since math and science are not my forte, I'm hoping that I'll be able to assist with other subjects. Of course, there's always a need for listening ear. We're having a "run thru" prior to the kids arrival. So we shall see what happens.
We have many hands working together to make this program work and help the young people with their struggles. An exciting time for us to begin something new and needed.

What a great program you are being a part of. Sounds like a win-win situation for all involved. Good Luck. I look forward to hearing more about it as things get underway.
ReplyDeleteSounds awesome Judy! And you are so right when you say sometimes it's the "listening ear" that is needed more than the homework help! Lucky students ;-)
ReplyDeleteWhat a blessing for the families and kids! I'm not sure I could help much with homework from those grades. I think I would be comfortable up to fifth grade. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteHope it was a successful first day of the mentoring program! May it grow and grow with students wanting to spend some time with those with a listening ear and a helping hand -- even if it's an "I don't quite get this either!" :)
ReplyDelete