Tuesday SOL 7/5/16 - Our Swan Tale

When we moved into our home almost a year ago, we thoroughly enjoyed watching "our" swan float across the pond, spread his wings and flap the water practicing his take off.

The girls named him "Beauty", not knowing or caring if it was male or female.  He is a handsome guy.

Last summer, he hung around the pond and seemed content to be by himself.  And then we noticed that every other week, he would take off to unknown places and then return to his routine.  We figured he was off trying to find a mate, only to return by himself.  Until....

One morning earlier this spring, Max and I were walking and could hear this unbelievably loud sound.  The flapping of wings soaring through the air.  I thought that finally I would get to see Beauty land in the pond and slow to a halt just before hitting the bank.

When I turned toward the noise, there was not one, but two of these beautiful creatures coming in for a landing.  Finally, Beauty had found a mate and brought her home.  Beauty glided through the trees and made an awesome landing.  But, the other swan headed straight down our drive (apparently Beauty hadn't give her the correct coordinates) and she skidded to an abrupt stop almost head first on to the drive.  She sat there stunned and I figured we had an injured swan.  Of course I didn't have my camera to capture all of this.

Beauty was concerned, got out of the pond and started walking toward his friend.  She apparently was very miffed, got up and hobbled as fast as she could in the other direction!  He followed at a safe distance and then turned and walked back to the pond.  At this point I don't think their relationship was going very far.  She sat down and then spotted Max and me and decided that wasn't safe either, so she flapped her wings and took off.  This time landing in the pond, but still ignoring Beauty.  A few minutes later, after she recovered from her mishap, she took off for some familiar surroundings, never to be seen again.

Beauty hung around most of the spring, but has once again taken off and not returned for almost two months.  We're hoping that he found the love of his life and will one day return to our pond.  Apparently he wasn't going to have a repeat of his last budding relationship.


Comments

  1. Here's hoping that things work out for Beauty. We have a duck family that lives in the pond down the street from us. It is fun seeing them each time we go by. We always tell them to be careful and stay off the road. Hope they understand us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even swans have life lessons, don't they? Thanks for sharing your story with all of us. I love hearing about wildlife and nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even swans have life lessons, don't they? Thanks for sharing your story with all of us. I love hearing about wildlife and nature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What interesting observations, and poor beauty just didn't make it happen, at least there on your watch, did he? Love hearing the story though. Hope you have a return someday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I think Beauty is probably better not having this one swan as a mate if she is so unforgiving. I do hope he finds a mate. We had a pair at the lake I visit often and they were together all of the time. I hope to hear more about Beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I think Beauty is probably better not having this one swan as a mate if she is so unforgiving. I do hope he finds a mate. We had a pair at the lake I visit often and they were together all of the time. I hope to hear more about Beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this story! I sure hope Beauty returns and sets up house on the lake. Have you ever read Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White? Your post made me think of that book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm all about hoping that love finds us all Beauty, of course:)
    Bonnie K.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a cute story Judy! Will be keeping my fingers crossed for true love to prevail! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved reading the tale of the swan. Such a sad, yet funny story to read! Hope Beauty returns soon, perhaps with a more forgiving true love!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

SOL 21/31 - Today We Celebrate 45 Years